Are Boss re-releasing old pedals?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Octafish said:

Is it to do with the rise in popularity of true bypass? Is it possible to wire true bypass with a Boss style microswitch?
    Yes, you would just do it with a relay (for 'true true bypass') or opto switching (for 'effectively true bypass although some people would still think it isn't because it won't pass a signal with no power'). Unfortunately relays have a fairly high current draw so are less suitable for battery power, although several companies do use them.

Personally I would prefer simply better-implemented buffered bypass with no tiny level loss - which is what causes the cumulative 'tone' suck when you use multiple Boss pedals. It's actually a volume loss which you hear as a tone loss because it's so slight (well-known psychoacoustic effect).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    juansolo said:
    @juansolo has built me a custom triple pedal that uses more reliable 2pdt switches and millennium bypass, effectively providing true bypass but more reliable - the super hard on style boost still pops when actuating, but the two fuzzes don't (I'm led to believe the super hard on just does that regardless). 

They actually use optocouplers rather than millennium bypass.

The SHO is a very clever piece of kit in getting so much out of so few parts, but it can be done a lot better. Without the crackle (the knob essentially re-biases the fet which is the noise you're hearing, not a dead pot). Which is why when we decided to do our own fet booster, we used a few more (and it's not a copy of a SHO). It behaves impeccably now.

Ooo is that the... Ahem... Well endowed boost? 

I might need to try it. Although the sho is always on when I use it so... I don't really have any issue. :D 

Apologies and thanks for the correction. 

Basically there are a lot of ways to skin this particular cat. 
    Ping me a PM if you want to borrow one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom