Resigned

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    ARRRGGGGHHHH!

Nearly there...  Just another week do go...

Quite frankly, I've done feck all since Jan.  They really should have let me go.

Coasting over the line...
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    I got notice that I'd been selected for redundancy 5 mins before I was due to run a call discussing how a prospective customer was getting on with our product. Somehow I maintained a level of professionalism, and when he said "I think we'll definitely be buying from you in a month or so" I managed to avoid saying "F***ed if I care".

The company had the foresight to pay everyone in lieu of notice, as it was not a happy atmosphere (about 1/3 of the UK operation was cut). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28483
    I've only been made redundant once (so far). There were only three of us left in the UK company by that point, so the boss wandered over and said "Sorry chaps, got to make you redundant. I was meant to tell you last week but it slipped my mind, which is a great shame as you're now both over the 2-year mark and therefore get a proper pay-off. Tomorrow we'll hire a van and ransack the warehouse together, then it's up to you if you carry on turning up, you'll get paid for another month anyway."

Wasn't that bad - he even found me another job so I was unemployed for all of one day, and because they'd made the sales people and sales director redundant only 16 months before we got the same conditions as they did. Which were quite generous.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I remember mine:

"We're making the whole department redundant.  As you're technically self-employed, none of you should bother coming in tomorrow."
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12385
    I got voluntary redundancy from my last job with BT. There was a massive backlog of customer faults building up and the company were looking to grab anyone and everyone to go and do outside work, climbing telegraph poles, doing new customer line installs etc. I was nearly 60 at the time with a bad back and no fondness of heights. The work was lower skilled than my current grade too, so I would've been marking time on my wages. I said to my wife I'd stick it for a year and just walk if it was as bad as I feared it'd be. Three weeks later I was offered redundancy: equivalent of 18 months wages, tax free. I didn't need a lot of persuading to go. 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    I had a 6 month notice period once. Ridiculous - don't think it helped anyone. Just meant the team faffed around for months before seriously recruiting. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    LAST DAY AT WORK TODAY!!!  WHOOP, WHOOP!!!
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Bit jealous to be honest!
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited March 2017
    Can they not let you have gardening leave?

3 months of just wanting to get one with it at the new place is a nightmare. Done it myself.
    I've never worked anywhere that has let me have gardening leave - always had to work full notice! Only people that seem to get it are those they want shot of anyway, in my experience :)
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Good luck Mr Bump!

I have decided to leave my place of employment. Haven't handed my notice in, but I have pretty much written my letter. I have an exam booked for 22nd of April and I pass that, the following week, CV gets updated and distributed, and notice goes in. Three month notice period too though which is going to suck.

I did think about leaving on not-so-great terms (I feel I have grounds to cause a kerfuffle with HR if I wanted to), but the head of the department is a great guy, and I think keeping in the good books there, is more important than sticking the knife in too deeply to my current boss.
  • When I left Royal Navy, my notice was 18 months, which funnily enough ended on 11-March 1987 so 30 years ago tomorrow! 
    When you decide to get out, 18 months drags! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My brother in law who us one of life's less productive souls worked n the insurance industry and seemed to get sacked/made redundant yearly over several years thus ensuring long lazy summers filling in a few application forms and drinking beer in the garden and generally taking it easy whilst he saw out his regular 3 months gardening leave - having said that he's permanently broke with a string of ex wives - so has some downsides 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    All the best 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    boogieman said:
    I got voluntary redundancy from my last job with BT. There was a massive backlog of customer faults building up and the company were looking to grab anyone and everyone to go and do outside work, climbing telegraph poles, doing new customer line installs etc. I was nearly 60 at the time with a bad back and no fondness of heights. The work was lower skilled than my current grade too, so I would've been marking time on my wages. I said to my wife I'd stick it for a year and just walk if it was as bad as I feared it'd be. Three weeks later I was offered redundancy: equivalent of 18 months wages, tax free. I didn't need a lot of persuading to go. 
    I bailed out and managed to avoid a similar fate, definitely never fancied poles'n'holes work! What were you doing with them before they tried to chuck you outside?