ii V I..something to try over the V chord

What's Hot

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited August 2013
    Barney said:
    im expecting bigjon might post some of his ideas as well....its always best to hear ..:)

Your wish etc etc. Grabbed a II V I backing track in G and my acoustic, got youngest daughter to take a vid on my phone. Will post up each of the tabs and say what time in the vid the lick occurs.

First one is at 0:10 - 
    bigjon said:
     try a blues scale in position one (or even a minor pentatonic) 3 frets above the V chord. So over the D7 play F blues scale, eg

---13---16---13-----------------------------------
    ----------------------16---13-----------------------
    -----------------------------------16---15---13---
    -------------------------------------------------------

Second one is at 0:18 - 
    bigjon said:
    Another good "sound like you know what you're doing" thing to play over the V7 chord is root note on the top string, up one fret, up another two frets, then extend that pattern over the next two strings. So the pattern is over a D7 into G is

-10-11-13-
    -10-11-13-
    -10-11-13-
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

and a sample lick would be

---10---11---13---11---10--------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------13---11---10------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------13---11---10---11----
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I shift that lick up a minor 3rd to illustrate the next point at 0:26 - 
    bigjon said:
    Here's a little secret - because this is symmetrical and can be moved in minor 3rds, ANYTHING that works in a vaguely outside-ish way over a V chord can also be moved in minor 3rds! :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    bigjon said:
    Barney said:
    im expecting bigjon might post some of his ideas as well....its always best to hear ..:)

Your wish etc etc. Grabbed a II V I backing track in G and my acoustic, got youngest daughter to take a vid on my phone. Will post up each of the tabs and say what time in the vid the lick occurs.

First one is at 0:10 - 
    bigjon said:
     try a blues scale in position one (or even a minor pentatonic) 3 frets above the V chord. So over the D7 play F blues scale, eg

---13---16---13-----------------------------------
    ----------------------16---13-----------------------
    -----------------------------------16---15---13---

Second one is at 0:18 - 
    bigjon said:
    Another good "sound like you know what you're doing" thing to play over the V7 chord is root note on the top string, up one fret, up another two frets, then extend that pattern over the next two strings. So the pattern is over a D7 into G is

-10-11-13-
    -10-11-13-
    -10-11-13-
    --------------
    --------------
    --------------

and a sample lick would be

---10---11---13---11---10--------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------13---11---10------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------13---11---10---11----

Then I shift that lick up a minor 3rd to illustrate the next point at 0:26 - 
    bigjon said:
    Here's a little secret - because this is symmetrical and can be moved in minor 3rds, ANYTHING that works in a vaguely outside-ish way over a V chord can also be moved in minor 3rds! :-)

very cool....thanks ...ill try some of them...ill get the guitar out later and do some 2 5 1 using the Ebma7 arp...on th V chord....:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2013

ok just recorded a little bit using the Ebmaj on the V chord...first time just as the arp and another 2 messing a little bit with it...i tried to really exagerate the V ap

http://soundcloud.com/user5011288/2-2051-20example

sorry about the really crap backer just done it really quick..:)

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    bigjon said:

As a bonus I stuck another pattern I use all the time over the V chord at 0:34.
    The pattern is -

---10---11---13---14--
    ---10---11---12--------
    ----------------------------

It's sort-of half-whole dimished with a b6 passing note borrowed from the superlocrian, but I just use it as a fretboard pattern that works. The lick I was playing at 0:34 goes something like

---10---11---13---14---13---11---10----------------10-----------------------
    -------------------------------------------------11---12---------12---11---10---
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited August 2013
    play this over V with a bit of a swing.. 12/8 stylie
    Note: beat 1 of the bar is the 2nd note [so the first note is a little anacrusis]

------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------5--------5---6---7---
    4---5-------5------------4---5---7-------7------------------
    ---------7-------6---7-----------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    play every note as if it were your first
    Clarky said:
    play this over V with a bit of a swing.. 12/8 stylie
    Note: beat 1 of the bar is the 2nd note [so the first note is a little anacrusis]

------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------5--------5---6---7---
    4---5-------5------------4---5---7-------7------------------
    ---------7-------6---7-----------------------------------------
    thanks...:)
    edited August 2013
    how about playing the opening bar to Yankee Doodle Dandy in any key except for the key that chord V is actually in
    Clarky;18491" said:
    how about playing the opening bar to Yankee Doodle Dandy in any key except for the key that chord V is actually in
    Not really sure what you mean but I'm all for experimenting... :)
    it's actually a really crap joke about jazz...

but funnily enough.. occasionally it actually sounds quite cool.. lol..
    edited August 2013
    Clarky said:
    jeez Clarky you can be such a nob at times...

sheesh..

gonna face palm myself..
    EDIT: and just realised that I can't.... lmao...
  • vizviz Frets: 10696
    I dun it for u :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Clarky;18746" said:
    Clarky said:

sheesh..

gonna face palm myself..EDIT: and just realised that I can't.... lmao...
    Clarky;18746" said:
    Clarky said:

sheesh..

gonna face palm myself..EDIT: and just realised that I can't.... lmao...
    Haha.....lol ...ill do it ... :)
    edited August 2013
    all this jazz talk made me go and listen to the Vision On gallery tune..
    jeez.. it is just soooo cool..
    Clarky;19103" said:
    all this jazz talk made me go and listen to the Vision On gallery tune..jeez.. it is just soooo cool..
    Haha...elevator music...
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    edited September 2013
    Barney;13828" said:
    ok just recorded a little bit using the Ebmaj on the V chord...first time just as the arp and another 2 messing a little bit with it...i tried to really exagerate the V ap

http://soundcloud.com/user5011288/2-2051-20example

sorry about the really crap backer just done it really quick..:)
    Sounds good!

Tell you what's nice: if you're playing in, say C, and you're doing some 251 stuff, that'd be d minor, G major (the V), C major. These chords are nice for that:

D minor 7 add9: x 5 7 5 5 x
    G altered: 3 2 3 4 4 x
    C maj7 add9: x 3 5 4 3 x

(I like that voicing because of the decending chromaticism on the B string)

Then to noodle over that, a clever little option is a pentatonic, a# pentatonic, b pentatonic.

So for the d minor chord, I'm playing a minor pentatonic, which only contains notes that are in d minor, though it has the supertonic (the 2nd, E) instead of the mediant (the minor 3rd, F) - so like the chord voicing I use, it accentuates the 2nd note of d minor rather than the 3rd.

Then for the G altered chord, I just move my pentatonic shape up a fret to the A# minor pentatonic. This pentatonic scale only contains notes that are in G super locrian, which is a great scale to play over the V chord.

Then for the cmaj7, I shift up another fret to play b minor pentatonic. Now C major's relative minor is a minor, so by rights I should be playing a minor penta, but by playing b minor penta, I'm accentuating the B, which is the leading note of C major, and the D, which is the supertonic of C major (both of which fit into the voicing I'm using on the chord, x 3 5 4 3 x - that 4th fret on the B string and 5th fret on the G string in the chord), and there's a new note in the pentatonic lick, the F#, fret 7 on the B string. This F# is not in Cmaj7, it's C's augmented 4th, so it gives the last chord a nice Lydian feel.

It's really easy, you just stick to the pentatonic shapes and go up a semitone for each chord change and it sounds lovely. Instant jazz.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    I think what's needed is using your ears to hear the tensions. If you can't hear the tension notes and resolve them nicely, you're just playing bollocks, running scales is like a running a tap. Turn the tap off and play some music.

Ears are everything.

(Yes, I can play all the scales under the sun, but only for fretboard practice.)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A really nice idea on a V7 chord is to play a Major triad from the root (in this case D) and then simply move the triad up or down in minor thirds. So over D7 you'd end up with D Major - F Major - Ab Major - B Major. These can be combined in any order but give you all the altered tones without having to think about Superlocrian or whole tone etc. If you can connect all the various inversions in one position it's easy to get some great outside ideas or simply moving the same shape up the fretboard in minor thirds gives a line great symmetry. Larry Carlton amongst others has used this approach for years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2015

Brilliant - sounds very outside!

• Wow.... I'll never be a jazz player.