New Suhr Guitars

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537

dindude said:
    Not much in it other than brand perception if you ask me:

http://www.mattsmusic.com/2570_700.jpg
    I guess my point is that at least the Grosh has a small degree of its own personality. Most Suhr's you could spec the look straight off of the Warmoth site.
    ....as could you a Fender Custom Shop Strat for example
    Yes but it's kinda Fenders design, and Warmoth are an approved Fender licensed parts supplier so no real surprise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Not a surprise, but your comment seemed to say, 'Why get a Suhr when you could get a Warmoth?'. It must also therefore stand 'Why get a Fender Custom Shop when you could get a Warmoth?'. Actually, these days it's almost, 'Why get anything when you could get a Warmoth?' such is the extent of their range :-)

Obviously I love Suhr kit, but am sometimes confused when I see people criticise them for too much bling, or when there is none, for not being discernable from something like a MIM for example. Can't win and I don't know why it matters. One of the many things I like about Suhr is their ability to add killer features without making them obvious.

For example, on the JM you get the silent single coil system on the P90 models, the recessed Tonepros bridge rather than just plonking it on the body and stainless steel frets. Small details, but that's where quality starts.

I guess I don't have any brand out there which gets my back up so always like to understand what it is that gets others niggled about things such as Suhr. It's all just opinion and I certainly don't feel the need to defend my preferences, but am intrigued when brands annoy people :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not annoyed, just discussion for me. My point may have got confused, but in summary, its just a looks thing for me personally. I think the design element of Suhrs is often lacking. I prefer "plain" custom coloured guitars to exotic woods so they should be right up my street, but honestly, they often look like Argos special guitars from my yoof built amazingly well. I.e. ever so Slightly "off" Fender styles with shiney finishes.

The finer details of the new JM are likely very well considered indeed, but what an incredibly uninspiring design, sticking a few P90's or Humbuckers on a JM body has been done to death in the last few years.

Conversly, the new Pete Thorn model looks all kinds of awesome. I love that the natural back and sides make them true "gold-top" and black-top" guitars. It's subtle, but there is some flare there. Maybe they should get Pete to design more of their guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fair enough. It doesn't phase me that they've taken a classic design, tweaked it and added their appointments. John was a Fender Master Builder so will clearly seek inspiration from there.

I'm glad we don't just have Fender, Gibson, Guild and Rickenbacker. Allows for others to take a tried and tested design and tweak/improve it.

Suhr Moderns have a silhouette I could easily identify, the Knopfler Suhr is iconic and there aren't that many 24 fret Teles out there. So design wise, I think they've bought some ideas to the party.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Yeah cool. sweet, sweet, cool ,cool, cool, sweet, cool, cool, sweet sweet....cool, cool, cool.....this guy knows how to describe a product...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 379
    I like them, as with the TA raven you get the offset look but completely different spec guitar as the fender offset, type of music I play a jazzmaster would be nightmare to try and get on with, really don't think it's aimed at your usual jazzmaster type player, guitar will feel completely different . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The gold Pete Thorn and that red Andy Wood tele (and I'm not a tele fan!) look great.
  • Hideous. I don't really get it. Played a couple in studio too albeit unplugged; a strat and a bound tele, and was pretty unmoved by them. Quite unremarkable, right up until you get to the headstock, which at least has the decency to be absolutely grotesque. 

This offset looks like the £75ish DIY kit you can buy online, only yknow, over two grand. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I notice they've begun doing Teles with 24 frets. If they start doing similar with the JM shaped one, I am in big trouble.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    @Bucket - the 24 fret Tele has been around for a couple of years now. When I asked Ian Thornley about a possible sig model a while back, he mentioned a 24 fret S style, so they might well think about adding that now he has his sig JM
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I like the Jazzmaster one. I've always liked the offset shape but have no need for a trem and want decent pickups for rock music, so that sort of thing is perfect for me. Shame Suhr are so bloody expensive. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    edited February 2017
    I'm presuming they don't do left handed versions other than custom builds? I can't see any details on their site. Fuckers.

That JM is lovely. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    So the Ian Thornley and Pete Thorn sigs are approx £1100 more to buy in the UK? As mark ups go, that's bloody disgusting.

I haven't checked the other models but perhaps that's standard? It's still a bloody rip off. I'd rather go out there and get one myself. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    CHRISB50 said:
    I'm presuming they don't do left handed versions other than custom builds? I can't see any details on their site. Fuckers.

That JM is lovely. 
    I take back calling them fuckers. They are doing lefty JM's. 

Hubba hubba. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Just hohner jt60s that cost 2k! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw this on the Suhr twitter feed the other day. More Thornley JM finishes coming at NAMM?