New Two Notes Captor

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Well if anyone does buy it they're welcome to come past my place and we can record and post some tracks with my reactive load.
    Ooooooooooooh Matron!!!!!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have had one of these for a few days, 

they are just ok, it depends on what you are going to use it for. As a recording solution i found a simple sm57 to work better for my setup.

• Hi @sherpa_man is it the speaker sim you’re finding a bit meh, or is the reactive load also lacking? Ie have you tried it with third party IRs or Wall of Sound instead of the onboard sim?
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Hi @sherpa_man is it the speaker sim you’re finding a bit meh, or is the reactive load also lacking? Ie have you tried it with third party IRs or Wall of Sound instead of the onboard sim?
    I just find for my setup the sm57 just works better. I’m sure if I spent more time in the wall of sounds with my cab packs it would be much better. More than anything I just think the wall of sound plugin feels old and out dated.

for the money it’s a cool option but it’s just not for me.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and tried it last night. It was pretty... meh.

For context, I also have a Laney Ironheat Studio which has a built in dummy load, DI out and a switch to turn on/off cab emulation. Basically the same thing as the Captor but built into the amp. I also have Wall of Sound anyway after buying some of their IRs.

Results with the Laney direct to Wall of Sound plug-in seemed much more 'lively' and bright. To be fair, the first time I tried the Laney with WoS I was blown away with how authentic it sounded and how easy it was to use. Laney>Soundcard>WoS - easy. The Captor with the Laney or my Mesas however, sounds like it has a blanket over the speaker. 

This made me think I was missing something so I checked the manual (man style - only go to the manual if all else fails) and it seems you're supposed to use the line out and not the DI out for direct to your AI. I'll give this a try later but would be good to know how others are getting on.

The Torpedo sounds simply amazing in the YouTube demos, especially, for me personally, with the Fender style tones that Shane from InTheBlues was getting. I was really hoping to at least ball park some of that accuracy with the Captor being from the same stable.

• If the DI has speaker emulation applied already then hopefully you’ll get much better results using the line out + WoS.

Keen to hear how you get on as I could use one of these as a straight reactive load if they’re any good.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited October 2017
    Is the attenuator side of it any good?
  • So I finally got one of these, and initial impressions are that I'm happy with it when used with impulses. The built in cab emulation is OK but nowhere near as good as impulse responses IMHO.

@DanR the attenuator side of it is reasonable, but it's fixed at I think 20db so it won't get a very loud amp down to bedroom level but if 20db is all you need it works very well.

@dan_halen I used the mic output with phantom power into my soundcard and got great results with impulses. My reading of the manual is a little different - I think you could use either the DI or the balanced out into a sound card...

@Barney I searched for this one and came up with one of your old threads about these but there were no responses there, don't know if you found this thread in the end?

Overall, I'm very happy with my Captor and think it's great value for money for what it does. Wish this tech had been around when I first started messing around with THD Hotplates 15 years ago!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    Thanks for your reply. I have since messed around with it more and found the mic output with phantom does seem to be the clearest if that makes sense. Just my impression. Like you seem to notice as well - this isn't necessarily what the manual suggests. Glad it wasn't just me getting a bit confused.

I do seem to have to faff a bit between amp levels, level on the Captor, and levels on my interface to get the balance right as it seems to get mucky quite easily if you push too hard at the wrong point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom