I sold all my pedals to buy a kemper - My Story

What's Hot
joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
The number 1 best seller from bedroom guitarist J.Owen ;)

Right, so I'm making a thread to give my thoughts as I've seen a few people deciding whether to sell multiple things to get a Kemer/Helix/Axe. I thought for about 6 months before taking the plunge.

The facts:
  • I sold 8 pedals, totalling about £1100. I was going to but a second hand Kemper but no luck so I purchased:
  • A rack mounted, unpowered Kemper  for £1400 from Andertons.
  • I have £40 ish to spend in loyaly points. so only a £260 loss.
  • I'm not in a band, so I can't report on gigs right now.
  • I play anything from Mayer/Slash/Gilbert/Paramore using Strat or LP mainly
  • Running it through Rockit 5s or Beyer DT100 headphones

Day 1
I finally get home from work to open the unit, perfect! Turn it on enter date/name, perfect! Time to leave to the mothers for tea. Balls.

Day 2
I finally get home from work to turn on the unit and download the rig manager software, it shows over 9000 available profiles. Time to leave to my grans, it's her birthday. Balls! (Obviously, not really)

Day 3
I read enough reports saying the stock profiles aren't great and there are some recommendations.  Where possible I don't want to buy profiles as I've just sank enough into the unit. I spend an hour or 2 flying through profiles, completely stunned by how good this thing sounds. Clean/crunch/djent, it nails it.  Honestly though, not much playing mostly listening to some sounds, the CHANNNGEEE PLACES, another sound.  I also realise there are lots of in built effects, even more tweaking.

Day 4
I spend some time getting some basic profiles added to my favourites. I have 4, Clean Two Rock, Gained Two Rock, MBritt Dumble OD and a Bogner Shiva Lead.  All 4 are so so good.  The clean two rock profile had me playing my strat for about 40 mins without noticing the time.  It is crazy good.  A CON! I don't rate the gain knob.  If it's a clean profile, leave it clean.  if it's high gain, leave it high gain.  The gain dial will take a 5150 to clean, and a two rock to high gain.  I don't believe it to be accurate.  And it's not really worth moving the dial any more than 1 place/light

So, no regrets so far.  Playing hasn't been this fun in a long long long long time.  I'll keep you posted

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Happy new amp day!!

And happy birthday Granny!

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    Love mine and the more you dig in the more you will enjoy.
    it was a big ask for me to blow that much as a bedroom home recording bod but it's the best sound I have had.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited January 2017
    So pretty much just 90s guitar music then. Not having a dig (well not too much) these (and the other similar units) seem geared up for that small bandwidth of taste. Well, that and teenage metal. Perhaps the companies just know the target market incredibly well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Lew said:
    @Lew ;
     I'm missing something, what's your point? not djenty enough?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited January 2017
    Sorry - it was a placeholder whilst I was writing. Speedy Gonzales. I strongly dislike Djent. How is the Kemper at taking pedals? Can you feed it ge fuzz? That version looks alot better than the radio looking one :-)
  • The clean and mid gain tones I've heard from the Kemper are really quite good. To the point where unless it's an A/B, or you tell someone it is digital, they probably wouldn't say anything.
    Lew said:
    Sorry - it was a placeholder whilst I was writing. Speedy Gonzales. I strongly dislike Djent. How is the Kemper at taking pedals? Can you feed it ge fuzz? That version looks alot better than the radio looking one :-)
    Ah fair.  Ok, irony is I sold me pedals so I can't tell you.  However the inbuilt effects are good.  I used a TS for years, and the TS in this is identical to me. 

As for the styles, there are a million more artists I could add, they just came to mind.  Which was why the Kemper was a benefit to me. I'm currently on a Paul Gilbert binge, using shred with slight delay and chorus! Although I couldn't help but play Slow Dancing... with the Two Rock setting.

This time next week I could happily be playing along to Hans Zimmer soundtracks, so I needed something to do a lot.

If I only played Slash/Paramore/Generic Marshall sound I wouldn't have bothered really, as you are right, other cheaper units handle that just fine
    The clean and mid gain tones I've heard from the Kemper are really quite good. To the point where unless it's an A/B, or you tell someone it is digital, they probably wouldn't say anything.
    I did a side by side of my Deville, to a Deville profile.  Identical I tells you.

In the room, bigger speakers made a difference.  But during playback, 0 difference
  • Have you done the firmware update with the new delays yet, or is it not fully available yet?
    Have you done the firmware update with the new delays yet, or is it not fully available yet?
    I think it updated straight away with rig manager, as there are about 14 ish delays on the unit.

Sound awesome, but I'm not the biggest delay person in the world.  The Nemesis was awesome, so was my timebender
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    There's even more in 5.1 (Beta) in RM you need to enable it to allow beta's, it also doesn't by default add all the rig packs - If you've got 'Crystal delay' for example, you probably have all the 5 content.
    Well, it's been a while since I've updated.  I was playing so much, and there wasn't much new to add.

I'm not sure the honeymoon stage is officially over, but feck me this thing is amazing.

Honestly, the best sounds I've ever had.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Enjoy .. it's great when you get a bit of kit that makes you want to play guitar ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Digital doesn't have that smell when hot though...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Pair of pants and a hairdryer......
    easy solution. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom