Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Attenuators, do you use one?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    the_jaffa said:
    Does anyone have any thoughts on an attenuator that would work well with a 68 Custom Vibrolux? Would the Jettenuator be a sensible option?
    Should be. The THD Hotplate also definitely works very well with Fender BF/SF amps, although it's much more expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    Nice one, cheers. I'll look into both options
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    ICBM said:

I use an attenuator with my dual recto

It's the right solution with one of those - anything else doesn't get you the proper sag from the valve rectifier.

I'd look into the PPIMV for the JTM as well – you can generally get them fitted in such a way as to be reversible without drilling holes in the amp.

Yes, by fitting them in the second speaker jack - since you aren't going to need two cabinets if your goal is to reduce the volume.

Maybe ask around on opinions on attenuators on Tweed deluxe amps. I've never tried attenuating anything tweedy, but there will probably be a stand out method- then find the attenuators that use that method of a suitable power rating, then go for the one in budget. 

Hopefully @icbm has some experience with them - he originally advised me and saved me a fortune exploring other options.
    In my experience, the Tweed Deluxe-type circuit seems to work best with a resistive attenuator. This is probably because it doesn't have negative feedback, and that seems to be a common correlation.

Cirrus said:
    In the past I found my AC30 preferred a Dr Z brake Lite to a THD Hotplate.
    Likewise - the AC30 has no NFB.

If there is a rough rule of thumb, it's that it seems that no-NFB amps are best with resistive attenuators, 6L6 amps (which seem to often prefer a low mismatch to a high one when driven hard) prefer the THD Hotplate, and EL34 amps (which seem to prefer a high mismatch) are better with the Marshall Powerbrake. This is a *very* rough* guide, overly simplified regarding valve types, and there are likely to be exceptions, and there are many other attenuators… so that's about as clear as mud :).

The differences between them are mostly in the way their impedance curve diverges from that of a real speaker, which is not constant at all frequencies. Resistive attenuators don't have a 'curve' as such, although sometimes they present a slightly different impedance at different settings, which you may need to take account of.

The real problem is that they're a fairly big investment, at least for the higher-power ones, so it's not very convenient to try several until you find the right one.

Thanks.  In this context do "best" and "prefer" mean "sounds a bit better" or "doesn't make it blow up"?

I have an 8ohm Hotplate which I use for 6V6s, 6L6s and El34s - seems that at least one of them will be unhappy...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    Mostly sound.

The Hotplate can stress Marshall-type amps (or actually the valves) quite a lot if you push the amp really hard, but it's easy to fix - set the amp to the impedance below the Hotplate, ie 4 ohms for an 8-ohm Hotplate. It will probably be fine with the 6V6 and 6L6 amps without that.

If you're not really cranking it into power-stage overdrive it won't matter much anyway though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31593
    Exorcist said:
    @hotpickups Where abouts are you? If your anywhere near Chelmsford your welcome to borrow my jettenuator.
    Damn that would've been handy but unfortunately I'm in Bath so quite a distance Thanks for the offer though
    @hotpickups you can borrow my Jettenuator if you're ever passing through Mid-Wales.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    p90fool said:
    Exorcist said:
    @hotpickups Where abouts are you? If your anywhere near Chelmsford your welcome to borrow my jettenuator.
    Damn that would've been handy but unfortunately I'm in Bath so quite a distance Thanks for the offer though
    @hotpickups you can borrow my Jettenuator if you're ever passing through Mid-Wales.
    or @hotpickups if you come collect from Swindon you can borrow my Two Notes Torpedo and Marshall Powerbrake 
    Red ones are better. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    That'll be awesome @TimmyO  I'm back in Swindon all week next week if you're around. Probably not the powerbrake but two note one maybe ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Errrr I think I might have to cancel that @TimmyO . I know you're not selling but I've just seen the price of one of them and don't want to get sucked in wanting to get one if I did :(. Phew at those prices I'd be getting an ironman II
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7424
    haha.

I am actually selling it (got it advertised) but you're welcome to try it for comparisons until it goes 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    haha.

I am actually selling it (got it advertised) but you're welcome to try it for comparisons until it goes 
    Thanks again. Really a kind offer but a little more than I'll ever need 
  • Fryette Power Station

So many uses, and the best attenuator I've used, and ive used a lot (though not all by any means)
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    I found the Fryette has its own "sound" - not as transparent as some - but maybe I wasn't using it properly! The best ones I've had were the Faustine Phantom (superb - god knows why I sold that!) and my current fave is the iron man 2 - great unit although I think a bit unwieldy unless you use it as intended on the floor! Maybe it has to be that big - I don't know - maybe heat issues if squashed into a small housing?
  • You do need to "match" the Fryette using the toggles with rotary controls at noon - when at unity gain.  As you raise /lower the volume, use the rotary's to keep the tone similar.

It does have its own tone to a small extend I guess, as its using 6L6s to re-amp your original tone, but its minor if anything, and a lot closer to the original once you get below a 3db reduction.

As always though - views may vary.

I actually use it mpore as a mono power section for a modeller than I do as an attenuate - and thats my main rig.