Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do old people complain about loud music...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• For me at 43 it is down to an increased sense of one's mortality and the need to protect your only body! Nowadays when I have to endure LOUD music that makes my ears numb, that just tells me that my ears are defending themselves against damage. I would like to play and enjoy music for the next 60 years or so, I need my ears! Turn it down, you bloody whippersnapppers!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Why do old people drive at 1mph, yet try to achieve land speed records on a mobility scooter? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    joeyowen said:
    Why do old people drive at 1mph, yet try to achieve land speed records on a mobility scooter? 
    To speak for myself: logically, if I had to use a mobility scooter I'd have a death wish.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    The term Loud is usually referring to amplified music at a wedding or occasion. Most older people do not attend gigs. Alsi it is often used to describe wedding/function bands who make no attempt to play some music that older people might like or dance to.  Loud as most bands know it, is very distorted whereas a concert grand is loud but clean loud. It is often much louder than a drummer, yet it does not sound loud. Or loud as younger people know it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I was at a wedding late december and the band were Hatchett loud.
    Really quite a miserable experience - and I aint Old old yet.
    Stupid really....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Define "old people" too.  Does 64 count?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    If we're talking about the context of pubs, bars, clubs, social occasions...

When you're young you spend loads of time with your friends and you've got fuck all to say to each other of consequence, so music too loud to converse over is a nice excuse to just dance/ be silly/ bite each other/ whatever the hell kids do today.

When you're old you're probably trying to get to know someone, catch up with a great friend you've not seen in ages, and the music is fucking shit anyway so it's an annoyance you could do without.

For me, the Young/Old threshold was at about 24 years old.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From a musician point of view a lot of us "oldies" 50's plus played in loud bands without monitors. Always struggling to hear yourself and at the time, no problem with volume in venues. 
    Also the sound was quite bad years ago with 100w PA's for vocals yet 50-100w valve amps for guitars cranked! 
    Now there is no excuse to playing really loud with a bad sound, loud and clean is not as bad as loudish distorted! 
  • Cirrus said:
    If we're talking about the context of pubs, bars, clubs, social occasions...

When you're young you spend loads of time with your friends and you've got fuck all to say to each other of consequence, so music too loud to converse over is a nice excuse to just dance/ be silly/ bite each other/ whatever the hell kids do today.

When you're old you're probably trying to get to know someone, catch up with a great friend you've not seen in ages, and the music is fucking shit anyway so it's an annoyance you could do without.

For me, the Young/Old threshold was at about 24 years old.
    Is this a good time to mention that I've never actually liked gigs or very loud music?
    <space for hire>
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24306
    What's the point of it being louder than the level needed to hear it clearly and also convey a sense of energy and power ?  Once you go past that level, it just becomes fucking annoying and onwards towards painful and dangerous.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it's because they also loose the ability to pick out sounds when it's loud so it's harder for them to hear what people are saying when it's loud.
    Absolutely this. My hearing is fine (and I'm only twentysomething) but I cannot hear a single word people say in some of the bars in Birmingham that are converted old bank buildings because the sound just rumbles around and seemingly I'm fairly sensitive to background noise!
    If it helps, I believe it's also a sign of being somewhere north of "normal" on the autism spectrum...and a symptom of tinnitus.
    Lol thank you @digitalscream that is a great comfort
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I wouldn't worry about it too much...I'm a "very-probably" on one of those and a "definitely" on the other ;)
    <space for hire>
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited January 2017
    I wouldn't worry about it too much...I'm a "very-probably" on one of those and a "definitely" on the other
    Beg pardon? Speak up young man

Edit, I definitely have no tinnitus, I'm presumably also a "very probably" on the other but I'd never have thought it had anything to do with my lack of near field hearing in background noise environments!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Older you get, the more mid-range hearing goes - more so with blokes.  So they're going deaf and can't hear 'cos of the racket. Simples !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Because we can.

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    boogieman said:
    I think it's because they also loose the ability to pick out sounds when it's loud so it's harder for them to hear what people are saying when it's loud.
    Absolutely this. My hearing is fine (and I'm only twentysomething) but I cannot hear a single word people say in some of the bars in Birmingham that are converted old bank buildings because the sound just rumbles around and seemingly I'm fairly sensitive to background noise!
    If it helps, I believe it's also a sign of being somewhere north of "normal" on the autism spectrum...and a symptom of tinnitus.
    Wow interesting, this exactly describes my experience in noisy pubs, cant hear a word thats being said, never ocurred to me it could be a 'thing'. Perhaps its related to my mild synesthesia ..... 
    I'm the same. If I'm in a restaurant with my wife I can usually hear the people on the table behind me, rather than what she's trying to say to me. Really annoying, for both of us. I've got quite bad tinnitus in one ear. 
    Yes it's very possibly that you have poor hearing in one ear. I have 100% single sided deafness and can't hear a sausage in noisy rooms. People should try it - just block one ear in a noisy pub and see what an immediate difference it makes. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • To be honest. If I don't like the music played, I will complain more if it's loud than vise versa.
  • Like @Emp_Fab says above but also because too loud often equates to loss of clarity and subtlety, qualities which at 56 I value highly in music. Of course when I was in my teens and seeing Motörhead, Sabbath and so on I felt a little differently although I have to say apart from one of the last club gigs by the former I never found live music in big venues to be that loud, club / venue gigs with cloth eared sound engineers are usually the worst 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!