Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sunday Lunchtimes........

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16112
How many families sit down to a traditional Sunday Lunch these days and what do they have ?............
 I don't mean once in a while or even often but with regularity given these days of Sunday shopping when the Local Tesco is busier than any day in the week or the nearest big Mall is teeming with people ............and I don't mean going to a Carvery or the Nearest decent Gastro-pub .............I mean at HOME.
  I t was almost ritual when I was a kid with a beef joint / yorkshire or Lamb the leftovers of which became either a Cottage or Shepherds pie on Monday having been minced served with bubble and Squeek ( Not Sooty and Sweep ! )
   Whilst on subject of TV ..who is old enough to remember that Sunday lunchtime classic " Out of Town " with Jack Hargreaves ....
.......a lovely old boy who would enthrall us with Fly-tying a Mayfly Nymph ,laying a blackthorn hedge or treating Chickens for Sourcrop whilst puffing away on his Pipe .
    It was only the late 60s/early 70s but I think even the lunch is something from a bye-gone era  ..........and then best of all at 3pm on a Sunday ,replete from lunch , it was time for the best TV of the whole week .............KUNG- FU with David Carradine 
........My name is Kane - I come in Peace 
 Enjoy your Sunday Grasshoppers !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Every Sunday in our house. Usually a pork or beef joint, roast tatties and parsnips, lots of greens, yorkies, and all the wrong sauces. All washed down with bottles of ale. LOVE IT. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• It's been several years since I've enjoyed a regular, traditional Sunday lunch, partly because my more elderly relatives have passed away and those who are still with us live too far away to make it practical.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• rlwrlw Frets: 4715
    Lunch?  No
    Sunday?  Not a chance
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2561
    edited January 2017
    One of the most endearing memories of my childhood was playing out and the smell of roast dinners being made from all the surrounding houses. It was the smell of a Sunday. I grew up in the North East so it was part and parcel of a normal Sunday. We used to have bubble and squeak for supper. I still have a home cooked Sunday roast, in fact my son is staying with me this weekend so that's what I'm cooking later. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16733
    Why does it have to be at Sunday lunch?

why do people get excited about pancakes once a year?

i roast a big chunk of meat on a regular basis, but it's rarely on Sunday lunch.

we always eat as a family, the same meal around the same table... no phones or tv, every day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I love a good Sunday roast and do one at least twice a month, mainly due to the memories as above and it tastes so bloody good,  the reason it's on a Sunday........ It takes ages to cook so not practical on any other day due to work and shopping and swimming in a Saturday. 
  • Due to various food intolerances in my family a roast is the most common meal we cook. And it's piss easy to make
  • randellarandella Frets: 4193
    God I do love a roast, but it's a pain in the butt just for two of you. We often have something in the slow cooker on a Sunday. Always eat at the table too, every day. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16112
    We would have roasts more often but I am starting to find it difficult in these parts to find the peasants to turn the spit and ,of course,it's also getting more difficult to hunt down a decent size Stag .
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    randella said:
    God I do love a roast, but it's a pain in the butt just for two of you. We often have something in the slow cooker on a Sunday. Always eat at the table too, every day. 
    When we're doing a roast for just me and the boss we swap the roasting joint out for a couple of chicken breasts. Bish bash bosh 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't think roast chicken,whole or otherwise really counts .....
     It has to be something far less healthy 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Mum, Dad and my sister have a roast every sunday.

I don't join as I find it shit having to see a table full of food and all I can have is some chicken and mash....

Before I got Crohn's, every sunday, without fail.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    We work Sundays but will often have a roast dinner on a Saturday night. Chicken usually, loads of veg and proper gravy.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • randellarandella Frets: 4193
    randella said:
    When we're doing a roast for just me and the boss we swap the roasting joint out for a couple of chicken breasts. Bish bash bosh 
    Good stuff, I like it!
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Sunday is one of the few days were all at home together at a time we all want to eat so we make at least 3 out of the month. I work days and the wife works nights so in the week it a rarity to eat together. I'll cook a Sunday roast, but if like today I can't be arsed, I'll do something like spaghetti and meatballs. 

@WezV I don't get the fuss over pancakes once a year either, they're at least twice a month in my house. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    Dominic said:
    We would have roasts more often but I am starting to find it difficult in these parts to find the peasants to turn the spit and ,of course,it's also getting more difficult to hunt down a decent size Stag .
    I don't buy that. Leftover chicken is great for making the rest of the week's food easier. Veg is hardly a pain. Skip the yorkshires, stuffing, bread sauce if needed to save on work and washing up - without those it's not labour intensive.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited January 2017
    Most Sundays, I cook, full roast, chicken or pork usually.

Just had pork with crackling, roast potatoes; par boiled and fluffed up and roasted in lard, Yorkshire puds (frozen), sprouts, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower with gravy cooked in the meat juices. 

It's a meal we all enjoy and one of the only times we all sit down as a family at the same time to eat. A tradition in our house and an integral part of our home and family life.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Virtually never these days- at least not at home.
    Today I had a bowl of homemade haddock chowder, some of Mrs Oct's sourdough and salad.

If we are out with friends I might indulge but usually not.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I used to do a roast every Sunday when my kids were little but it's a habit that's long gone. I think it was more that Sundays used to be the only day where we could really take time to cook. I think the last roast I did was Xmas day, can't remember having one before that except in a pub.

These days Mrs B and me usually have a light lunch and proper dinner in the evening. We've just had homemade pea and ham soup and rolls.  I made a beef and beer stew this morning and that'll sit in the slow cooker all day. Nom. 
    Do any other oldies like me remember Jack Hargreaves on "out of Town " on sunday lunchtimes in the old days or Kung Fu on sunday afternoons for that matter - my grandma ,who didn't have a TV, used to come round specially to watch it .