Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lady Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    ...and the Weather Station, and Viv Albertine from the Slits, and Alela Diane
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Blackjack said:

Anyway, the reason for this thread is I was talking on the phone earlier to a guitar shop (not my usual one) who was very offhand and made several very caustic comments about 'women that think they can play guitar'. Sadly I have come across this attitude more than once too.  I know I probably need to toughen up and grow a pair but to be honest I found it all quite upsetting and a big knock to my already low confidence.  I was very honest with the guy on the phone, I didn't come across as if I was Erica Clapton, Davina Gilmour or any other female alter ego! 

Hi.  Just read about your plight.  I am so sorry you would have to experience this.  Its incredibly important to be understanding and compassionate about other peoples social limitations.  The person who spoke to you had issues and there is nothing you can do to change their chemistry.  You cannot re-wire their life history that has led them to behave the way they do.  What is important however is to remember that they have the problem - not you.

Never ever allow a third party to undermine your sense of self worth - because if you do the only person who loses out is you.

So with that said.... take my 5 minute rule!

Practice 5 minutes every day.  When I say practice I mean attempt something you are struggling with - something that is new to you.

By focusing on 5 minutes a day you are creating a goal which is achievable - no matter how busy your lifestyle.  By hitting your goals every day you will grow in confidence and the finger memory you generate by picking your guitar up every day will get you improving in no time.

What seems like such an easy task initially can still prove too much for some.  Once you get those first 3 chords down you will be amazed at how much you just want to keep playing those 3 chords!!!  Because they will sound amazing!  Well thats fine - keep playing those 3 chords but never forget to spend 5 minutes doing something you cannot do too.

You will be amazed at how your 5 minutes will turn into 10 - 20 - 30 - 60 but if it doesn't - it doesn't matter.

So get started with the 5 minutes a day and I will guarantee you in 12 months time you will be amazed at how far you have progressed.

Final tip - spend less time worrying about what you may achieve, less time worrying about why you didn't start sooner and enjoy the moment you have with the guitar - and don't let anyone spoil that moment for you especially some idiot in a guitar shop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17622
    tFB Trader
    Has anyone mentioned Chantel McGregor yet? 

Went to see her a few months ago and she was very impressive indeed.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 248
    I won't mention the shop in question (it's not my usual shop that I use) but what I will say is that my usual store, GuitarGuitar in Epsom are just amazing!!! Fabulous service and advice and so very friendly and helpful. I can't recommend them highly enough. They are fabulous. Quite the opposite to the idiot today!! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    vale said:
    "i like being single 'cos i get stuff done, i like being single 'cos i'm always right"
    the gospel according to saint viv

Lodious said:
    I heartily recommend Viv's autobiography although it probably wouldn't encourage anyone to be a musician. The Slits ( her original band) are an interesting example of sexism in rock as they were pretty much just objects of ridicule at the time but in retrospect their album Cut was one of the great recordings of punk/ new wave - 
    loved by Kurt Cobain ( and me) and a regular in top album lists. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited January 2017
    short & sweet. the breeders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuvXUV_rJF4
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Saw Ana Popovic last week ,amazing. And no problem using a wah in heels either - wouldn't fancy trying that .

Shop staff can always be arses gender has little to do with it .

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Guitarists come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and with many different creative ideas, and go about playing many different styles, and play to improve themselves in some way or other. They is NO barrier to playing like some of the world's greatest male and female guitarists, except yourself. If you put the effort in, you WILL be rewarded. You'll amaze yourself and those around you. Go for it!

And this applies to anyone starting out with their first guitar.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    vale said:
    "i like being single 'cos i get stuff done, i like being single 'cos i'm always right"
    the gospel according to saint viv

Lodious said:
    I heartily recommend Viv's autobiography although it probably wouldn't encourage anyone to be a musician. The Slits ( her original band) are an interesting example of sexism in rock as they were pretty much just objects of ridicule at the time but in retrospect their album Cut was one of the great recordings of punk/ new wave - 
    loved by Kurt Cobain ( and me) and a regular in top album lists. 

Yes, I read the autobiography, brilliant book.
  • Rabs said:

I always found  this performance pretty impressive

---I'd love to know how many Headrushes Akai sold on the back of this one show. I saw an interview with her and she said the very next day her inbox was just full of emails from guitarists saying "how did you do that???" 

• Lodious said:

There are so many wonderful female guitarists and bassists around at the moment who have made great music on feminine terms, P J Harvey, Carrie Brownstein, Joanna Bolome, Meshell Ndegeocello, Gail Ann Dorsey, St Vincent etc...

Nobody has said it better than the wonderful Neko Case...

http://www.dailydot.com/upstream/neko-case-playboy-tweet/

As for the guy in the guitar shop...he sounds like a looser. I can understand that being upsetting, but don't give it any mind. Guitar is far too good an instrument to be discouraged by loosers. 
    Carrie Brownstein is one of my all time favourite players. Sleater Kinney's the Woods is a phenomenal piece of work, regardless of the gender of the band!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited January 2017
    Just don't mention... @HarrySeven 's guitar collection and you'll be fine...
    Oi! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Just don't mention... @HarrySeven 's guitar collection and you'll be fine...
    Oi! :)
    I broke my own rule ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Really sad that this is still a thing in the guitar world. 

Keep playing and keep learning.

(Don't learn too much though as like you I play a bit of folky music these days, any more than 3 chords and we'll run you out of town. We don't don't like no new fancy-pants 4 chord songs.) 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I remember that time I got banned from Gretsch Talk
    loads of middle aged fat Americans were posting pictures of semi nude models with Gretsches and making cringeworthy comments
    i post one picture of me naked with a stratocaster and I get banned!
    its not like it wasn't covering 'the bits'
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Listening to nincompoops in music shops is always a bad idea, the world is full of excellent female musicians from young to old.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22881
    As a (not) fat, know-nothing middle-aged man, watching all the amazing guitarists on this thread (their gender is irrelevant) has made me feel like jacking it in.  So thanks for that....  :(  ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2220
    edited January 2017

That shop should (as others have said) be named and shamed, disgraceful attitude. The fact that you have to say this, in 2017, is thoroughly depressing. Forget the needledicks in that shop, they're not worth a second thought.

Also, talk of great female guitarists gives me chance to post this. Gemma Thompson of Savages: what a glorious racket she makes. Carry on making a glorious racket, Blackjack:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    Sorry if someone has already suggested this - Emily Remler (starts after 30 seconds or so)

step into the classical market and a host of exceptional players
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom