Do Mesa amps have no 16 ohm speaker out ??

riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
ive been looking at Mesa amps and it looks like they only have speaker outs for 8 or 4 ohm cabinets .
I do a lot of gigs where I use house speaker cabs which are usually 16 or 8 ohm .
as the Mesa doesn't have a 16 ohm speaker out does that mean I can't use 16 ohm cabs ?? Seems like a huge oversight if so !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5683
    edited January 2017

You can use two 16 ohm cabs in parallel into the 8 ohm outputs and I do believe (if I read the Mesa bumpf properly) that a 16 ohm load into the 8 ohm (and probably 4 ohm) output is a safe mismatch.

If I'm wrong somebody will be along to correct me very soon so fear not.

Check this out for more information:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/Amplitudes/2013/June/Speaker Impedance Matching and Hookup.pdf

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• nick79nick79 Frets: 257
    edited January 2017
    Yes, you can use a 16 ohm speaker from the 8 ohm out on the amp, i had the same problem a little while back and asked the same question. As i understand it you will lose a little volume and clarity (that's what i noticed anyway) but it's safe to do it. 

I will add though that my Mini Rec driving a 4x12 at 16 ohms was still very very loud so if you have to use the 'wrong' ohm cab at any time it won't spoil your gig.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    You don't really need to match most mesas, they're tough AF! 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Mesas can tolerate at least a single level of mismatch. Just plug into the 8ohm and play away with no worries. It even says so in the manual:

Sensitivity to speaker mismatching in regards to ohmage differences is low, hence no damage to the amplifier will occur. 
    MIS-MATCHING: When running a higher resistance ( for example: 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cabinet ), a slightly different feel and response will be eminent. A slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack. This response is a result of the amplifier running a bit cooler. Sometimes when using more than one cabinet a mismatch will be the only option.
    Mesa Boogie amplifiers can handle 4 and 8 ohms effectively. You can always have a higher resistance ( 16 ohms, for example ) without damaging results, but too low of a resistance will likely cause problems.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    Some do, most don't. As already said you can always use the 8-ohm out into a 16-ohm load safely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Great . For a moment there I thought I'd found something that was a show stopper!
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    ICBM said:
    Some do, most don't. As already said you can always use the 8-ohm out into a 16-ohm load safely.
    To save starting a whole new thread, does this apply to my Supersonic 22?  I swapped the Greenback in my AC15 for a Blue and and just noticed the Fender only has 8R output.  I seen plenty of discussions about exactly this dilemma on the DRRI but not the SS22 - and didn't want to just assume that the output stages are the same.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    The DR is a special case because the stock transformer ratio is wrong, and it's actually a better match with a 16-ohm speaker than the original 8. I'm not sure about the Supersonic but I would expect it not to be, but I could easily be wrong.

Impedance matching is not actually as critical as usually thought though - almost all valve amps will handle a load between half and double the matching impedance with no trouble. It only starts to really matter if you're cranking the power stage into overdrive - with a clean sound at lower volume it doesn't really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein