Stewart Lee - Content provider show?

What's Hot
For my birthday, my wife got me tickets to see Stewart Lee in March on his Content Provider show that's touring, he's in our home town for the first time so thought we'd pop along.

Anyone seen his latest show, any good?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm going to be cynical and say it's terrible. Cynical is how he wants me. It's better that way. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    I'm going to be cynical and say it's terrible. Cynical is how he wants me. It's better that way. 
    I saw one of the "warm up" gigs he did last November where he was road testing some of the material. I enjoyed it but there again I am aware of his style / approach. He was very "Pro Remain" during this gig.....depending on your point of view this may of may not work for you.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13944
    Thanks, I voted leave but welcome his condescending liberal elitist scorn, out here in the sticks I'm not sure how much of his stuff will go over the heads of the gathered crowds, unless a load of out of towners pile in.

There, I'm being condescending now.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    But surely he's only pro-remain because he's not a tosser? ;)

I like him lots, both for his stand-up but also for his willingness to help shake us out of the belief that a comedian is playing themselves during a show, and that he REALLY doesn't like more popular strains of comedy.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    But surely he's only pro-remain because he's not a tosser?

I like him lots, both for his stand-up but also for his willingness to help shake us out of the belief that a comedian is playing themselves during a show, and that he REALLY doesn't like more popular strains of comedy.
    I agree, his approach to comedy as an art form and the way he uses it intelligently to craft a show is impressive and his disdain that many common denominator comedians aren't putting that amount of thought or effort in is understandable.

I particularly like the little interview segments on his TV shows, some people question of he's being 'serious' during those as some of the comments are appalling when taken at face value. Very clever stuff.

His Jeremy Corbyn cat routine shitting on the England flag is good, as is his more straight down the line rant about the Travelodge.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7798

One of my favourites is his explanation of how William Wallace - Braveheart was a gay pedophile to a room full of Scots in Glasgow, including a big guy in a kilt who looks highly unimpressed but laughs nevertheless.

From 29:00

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    If you've not already been going to see him for years he didn't want you there. Don't go.

He's brilliant.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Paul_C said:

One of my favourites is his explanation of how William Wallace - Braveheart was a gay pedophile to a room full of Scots in Glasgow, including a big guy in a kilt who looks highly unimpressed but laughs nevertheless.

Very funny ... I like Lee .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Fretwired said:
    Paul_C said:

Very funny ... I like Lee .. :-)
    I could watch that big guy for hours waiting to see if he explodes or laughs. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Best British comedian on the circuit today. The American equivilant is Doug Stanhope. Another genius.
  • I don't know if he'll ever top his Top Gear rant. Absolutely brilliant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    "he's not a real hamster"

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Yeah, a lot of love for him here.  Went to see him at Colchester Arts Centre a few years back - the fact that he played there is a big plus in my book, particularly as he was riding semi-high on the crest of a BBC run of shows.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/