ACME Thunderer

Not sure why, as I don't need one, but asked for a genuine ACME Thunderer whistle for my birthday, it's something to do with the fact it's hand Made In England by the same company that Joseph Judson started over 140 years ago, a very English traditional product that is still the standard for railway guards, sporting referees and many of the worlds police forces today. 

Michael Portillo stopped off at the factory on one of his Great Railways Journeys episodes and have wanted once since I saw it. I found the way they fit the 'pea' which is actually cork interesting.

I like collecting these little idiosyncratic English things!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    I haz one in a guitar case for those funk moments where a whistle is required in the breakdown.

Love it.

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    Been looking for a loud as balls whistle for school... Getting deafened by a whistle will teach you to run in my corridors!!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Fairly sure my Dad still has his, ex-teacher in an all boys school and rugby referee. Twas bloody loud, and I agree with you about it just being a nicely made "thing".

@ESBlonde have a look for a Samba whistle, that's what I used to use for those bits :)
    ooh look, Acme do one https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACME-Professional-Samba-Whistle/dp/B00QILNN68
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • I had one of these when I reffed junior rugby . They really are loud as hell. It has now migrated to my rucksack when I go hill walking in case I ever need Mountain Rescure to find me!
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I came to hate that sound as a kid, the whistle was constantly blown to stop you running in the local swimming baths, it was ear piercing in that place.