Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

1,000th Top of the Pops

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339

This is the top 100 of 1983 
    www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1983.shtml
    Actually there's a lot of good stuff there. Makes you realise how rubbish the charts are now for the most part.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moved to OT
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28380
    If i may sum up this thread...

"All good music came out when I was aged 15-25"

;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

;)

That'd be the 1950's for most on here ;)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    edited January 2017
    Sporky said:

Not for me, popular music was absolutely fucking vile when I was that age, which I suspect is why I'm always open to new stuff even now - I have absolutely nothing to be nostalgic about. 

I got rid of my TV in 1982, so when I've accidentally encountered an episode of TOTP 2 from the 80s it's full of massive chart hits I've genuinely never heard before in my life. 

And they're always absolute shite. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sassafras said:
    In 1983 I was -15 years old. My dad was in his 20s and just graduated from Cambridge, he listened to a lot of crap music then and still does now. But there are a few good songs that I listen to occasionally. 

This is the top 100 of 1983 
    www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1983.shtml
    Even assuming your dad was in his late twenties, he must've fathered you at a very young age.
     :) 

No, I was negative 15 years old, so he was at least 35
    35? That's seriously late 20s. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3031
    edited January 2017
    I was around 6 at the time. It was all about Shakin Stevens for me. I remember too all the kids in my class loving Our House by Madness. 
  • I was around 6 at the time. It was all about Shakin Stevens for me.
    This Stevens guy sounds well dodgy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was around 6 at the time. It was all about Shakin Stevens for me.
    This Stevens guy sounds well dodgy.
    LOL! Did I just say that?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I was around 6 at the time. It was all about Shakin Stevens for me.
    You bully. Do you realise you could have given him brain damage?
  • axisus said:
    I was around 6 at the time. It was all about Shakin Stevens for me.
    You bully. Do you realise you could have given him brain damage?
    This is bringing up a lot of painful memories. It Stevens wot started it. 
  • 1983 was all about two things for me: Return of the Jedi and the 20th anniversary of Doctor Who. Much better than 1985 as my brother vomited over me after he made my father and I take him to see Care Bears the Movie. Even now I can't eat a King Size Mars Bar without remembering what a partially digested one felt like on me. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Motorhate said:

I was just getting into metal in the very early 80s. I’d heard Motorhead’s early offerings round a mate’s house and was immediately hooked. They were massive on the punk scene and everyone I knew was already into them. I remember when Kill ‘em All came out by Metallica and it was like a revelation in the metal world. Metal with heavy thrash punk overtones was just the ticket for me. Also when Venom’s Welcome To Hell album came out, a mate told me how shit it was so I immediately had a listen down the “Small Wonder” record shop in Walthamstow and loved every minute of it. Compared to what it is now, Kerrang wasn’t the steaming pile of cow shit that it is now and featured many iconic bands in their early stages.

I've had conversations about this with friends who were heavily involved at the time. It's hard to grasp how much impact it made.

Also, the idea that punk arrived in 76 ignores the fact that the scene evolved out of the 60s garage punk scene. The Damned saw themselves as a retro band not a new thing.

And I'd say that the 80s punk music was often much better than the 76-78 bands. Both here and in the US it was far stronger. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    TOTP view of 1983's big hits

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b087lmbg/top-of-the-pops-1983-big-hits

available on iPlayer for only 7 more days, until the inevitable repeats, of course ;)

"As BBC Four's TOTP repeats move into 1983, a golden year in British pop, a compilation of some of the biggest hits of the year to sit alongside 'The Story of...' documentary that explores the evolution of this great pop institution in that golden year.
    Performances celebrate soul, reggae, jazz, new wave and pop. And the big hits are delivered by Wham!, KC and the Sunshine Band, The Police, Culture Club, Siouxsie and The Banshees, UB40, Duran Duran, The Beat and Bananarama amongst others. Big ballads are performed by Elton John and Bonnie Tyler, while Malcolm McLaren's Double Dutch completes the very best of '83, golden hits from 34 years ago."