New teaser from Mastodon

What's Hot

Comments

• I'll preface this by saying I really like Mastodon and I'm looking forward to the album but as @loobs has mentioned, it starts to feel like a rehash of ideas from The Hunter as the song progresses, and then there's another directionless solo from Brent.

That opening riff is a beast though!

I'm still happy that there will be new Mastodon music in the world and I will definitely go and see them live this time. 

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    I didn't like Big Business when I saw them supporting Mastodon either, they were boring to watch.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I've not seen them live but the first album is incredible. 

As for Mastodon, I supported them when they first came over and they were killer. I'm conviced they work so well on festival stages or massive venues. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    Big Business are fucking amazing. Better on record though tbh.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Anyone heard that Gone Is Gone album that's just come out? Its a supergroup with Troy from Mastodon. I think it's pretty good.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    I would second 'Today is the day-In the eyes of god' as it has Mastodons bassist and drummist.
     Not current i suppose but worth getting if your into Mastodon.
    I used to look at "Temple of the Morning Star" in record shops (...it must have been a long time ago) and think what an awesome title and cover art.  Still never listened to it though.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I used to look at "Temple of the Morning Star" in record shops (...it must have been a long time ago) and think what an awesome title and cover art.  Still never listened to it though.
    Yeh, was 97/98 it came out. Relapse records golden era imo. 

It has some great songs on, vicious, fierce and bludgeoning.

Sorry for slight thread derailment!
    @starwarsnosebleed  Well, that was pretty intense!  I listened to the whole album.  Not what I expected, I always imagined something fairly harsh but doomy I suppose, I didn't anticipate it being so discordant.  Or so varied.  There is lots to like, but some of it is hard work.
    Anyone who likes this sort of thing needs to check out a band called Whores. They're doing their first uk tour in April supporting Big Business - I'm expecting their live show to put BB to shame!
  • Reverend said:

As for Mastodon, I supported them when they first came over and they were killer. 
    I'm well jealous!!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

I like how awkward this interview is until the interviewer realises he's fucking around and she wont get a sensible answer.

Brent looks like he's about to go out hunting raccoons or something.
  • Reverend said:

As for Mastodon, I supported them when they first came over and they were killer. 
    As much as I like Mastadon Bret Hinds is a massive dick. Theres a video around where he goes to see these kids playing a mastadon cover and shows up pissed off his head and rips into the kid playing guitar

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I just watched that interview. He is such a tool to her. She's only doing her job and If you can't give a real interview, why agree to it? 
    The othe new song Show Yourself is really weak, very disappointing! 
  • TTBZ said:
    The othe new song Show Yourself is really weak, very disappointing! 
    I disagree that it's weak - I find it an interesting track to listen to, because it doesn't really sound like anything else they've ever put out, that's for sure. I think you have to listen to the two songs one after the other to "get" it. I don't think it's a song that stands out on its own.

I think the whole album is going to be something you'll have to listen to from start to end and appreciate it as one whole big piece of music.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Yeah maybe it will work in the context of the album, as a standalone it just sounds too poppy and one dimensional, not something I've ever thought of a mastodon track before
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Yeah maybe it will work in the context of the album, as a standalone it just sounds too poppy and one dimensional, not something I've ever thought of a mastodon track before
    You coulsd say that about the Hunter and that's an incredible album.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I don't like the hunter much either haha, a few of the songs are awesome but I haven't got into it like their other albums.
  • I'm a weirdo in that I think leviathan is competent, maybe even good but by far the least interesting release.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ