C++ training courses?

Hello IT types of the FB,

I have a need to find some C++ training for a colleague, ideally in Scotland but anywhere in the UK if needs be, but it seems incredibly hard to come by. Are there any recommendations for training companies who may be off the radar a little, but still good?

There are a few places advertsing courses who seem to be completely fly-by-night and take the money in advance of confirming the courses, i'd like to avoid that...

Thanks...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is he already proficient with a couple of languages? If so (assuming they're not Basic and Javascript or variants thereof), it might be more cost-effective to just get a decent book and some tutorial sites.

Failing that...online tuition could be a thing?

I know it's not answering your question, but I've been doing this programming thing for many years and I've never found in-person training to be of any use at all (either for me or for other people).
    <space for hire>
  • I'd echo that. Especially for C++ you really need to learn by doing but have a decent support network in place. Perhaps rather than training you should look for a mentor?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    Have to agree with @digitalscream almost all programming in my experience is learned by doing. The alternative is like trying to learn to ride a bike by doing seminars on it.
    Smallish project a book and 24 hr access to stackoverflow would be my recommendation.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • I've done "in person" training with a course that was arranged through these people:

https://www.globalknowledge.co.uk/

I would also strongly disagree that a book and the internet is better than (good) in person training.

• I'm on the fence with training f2f, but in this particular case it's strongly favoured by the developer and the team lead, and given the background and context I tend to agree.

Thanks for the comments.
  • I'm on the fence with training f2f, but in this particular case it's strongly favoured by the developer and the team lead, and given the background and context I tend to agree.

Thanks for the comments.
    Fair enough. In that case...I'm no bloody help at all ;)
    <space for hire>