Yamaha Bass Truss Rod Tool?

DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
I have a Yamaha BB200 that has the truss rod access at the body end of the neck and I can't see what kind of tool I need to adjust it.  It isn't an allen key, almost looks like a rachet fitting might do it.  Here's some pic's if anyone knows.......

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Assuming it's similar to a guitar, I'm guessing something like this? http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/truss-rod-wrench-14-socket-833-p.asp

I'm not sure what exact size you'd need (I'm guessing you could email Yamaha to find out for sure, once you know the name of the tool it shouldn't be too hard to find the right size).

I don't want to insult your intelligence, but if you got it new the tool might already be in the gigbag or similar. I know that happened with my Edwards LP... :))

• I don't want to insult your intelligence, but if you got it new the tool might already be in the gigbag or similar. I know that happened with my Edwards LP... :))
    I'm afraid not, but it was worth pointing out.  My brother in law "loaned" it to me several years ago and now he doesn't want it back!  Attempts to pay him in some way have been rejected but I'll find a way.  Thanks for the link.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    It's definitely a tool like the one Dave_Mc posted, but not that size - it's a while since I worked on one but I think it's the size between that and the largest (Gibson) size. There are three basic sizes, 6.3mm (1/4"), 7mm (9/32") and 8mm (5/16") - I'm pretty sure that's a 7. Try to measure it if you can.

Most music shops which do repairs have a few kicking around, if you take the bass in you could make sure it's the right size and they'd probably sell you one.

If it comes to it I think I have a couple of spares.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359

I don't want to insult your intelligence, but if you got it new the tool might already be in the gigbag or similar. I know that happened with my Edwards LP... :))
    I'm afraid not, but it was worth pointing out.  My brother in law "loaned" it to me several years ago and now he doesn't want it back!  Attempts to pay him in some way have been rejected but I'll find a way.  Thanks for the link.
    No worries

But yeah as ICBM said, I only linked to a random truss rod tool, I have no idea which size it's going to be. The way it's accessible on your Yamaha you could probably just measure it as he says.
  • ICBM said:

If it comes to it I think I have a couple of spares.
    Thanks, but I live in Canada and I think most of you people live in the UK?  I missed it by two generations, my Moms parents were Londoners and my Dads side was Glasgow area.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Thanks, but I live in Canada and I think most of you people live in the UK?  I missed it by two generations, my Moms parents were Londoners and my Dads side was Glasgow area.
    Ah, OK! Probably cheaper to buy one over there than post it from here then ;).

Pretty sure it will be the 9/32" size, but it may be worth buying both that and the 5/16", especially if you have any Gibson guitars or others that use the bigger size. I doubt it will be the 1/4", I don't think I've ever seen that except on real cheapos. The rod itself looks to be about 6mm so the nut must be larger!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein