Learning to drive...

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28268

And if I get cut up by a 1.8 mg, I'm coming on here and publicly shaming you ;) 
    Nah, just give the corner a little nudge with the nose of yours; he'll spin off, and who'll believe a newly-passed chap in a boy-racer car? ;)

Well done DS. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26593
    boogieman said:
    Well done that man.

Have you driven on your own yet? From memory that was a disconcerting experience the first time: suddenly there's no one beside you to tell you what to do or what to look out for. 
    Yeah, just got back - took it for a wash with the Polish guys up the road, then just carried on. Was a bit nervy to start with, particularly at the petrol station (got worried when I pulled away and it was phut-phutting quite a bit, but it settled down after half a mile) and at the valet place - the fiddly little manoeuvres really, in an unfamiliar car, first time on my own.

After that, it was fine.

And...oh my god, this thing handles like a go-kart. It's mental, and great fun too :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Woohoo! Congrats mate, drive safely and enjoy the gin! (do those things separately). 

Brilliant news! 
    You'll know it's me - it's the one with the crack in the rear bumper that I totally can't be arsed to fix :P
    <space for hire>
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Congrats!
  • Sporky said:

Nah, just give the corner a little nudge with the nose of yours; he'll spin off, and who'll believe a newly-passed chap in a boy-racer car? ;)

Well done DS. :)

Brilliant! Sheesh, I need a Sporky-advice app on my phone. 

Although if you became AI you'd surely become sentient so perhaps it's just as well. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    Yeah; last thing you want is me thinking for myself.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ^ He already has
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17620
    tFB Trader
    Well done Lee 
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Nice one dude, I recall passing at 27, first drive on my own was both awesome and terrifying. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bucket said:
    That's the one, except mine's the classier version from before the facelift, like this:

<space for hire>
  • Sporky said:
    Yeah; last thing you want is me thinking for myself.

I knew it read a bit weird, but I went along with it anyway. 

As you were. 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Well done! I spent a chunk of today waiting for my 18 year old to take his theory test (again). Sadly a fail by one point (again). I remember passing my test and taking an old Land Rover out for a drive... halcyon days for sure
    Budgie said:
    Well done! I spent a chunk of today waiting for my 18 year old to take his theory test (again). Sadly a fail by one point (again). I remember passing my test and taking an old Land Rover out for a drive... halcyon days for sure
    Cheers :)

If it helps, there's a trick to the hazard perception bit if that's the problem - click when you see the potential hazard then click again about a second later, which practically guarantees that you get it in the 5/4/3 part of the window. I got 68/75 doing it that way, so it might help him.
    <space for hire>
    Oh, and here she is, since I haven't posted a photo:

That's her good side. The other one has a gentle crease in the panel towards the rear, but I'm leaving it there on account of:

1 - It means that if I scrape those gateposts, it won't make me cry too much
    2 - Fixing it would be more than the car's worth
    <space for hire>
    mgzr.jpg 99.5K
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Awesome news, well done
    My V key is broken
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Yay, congrats!  

However, I spot a potential down-side - you'll be spending so much time razzing round in the motor, you'll let this place go to the dogs...  ;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Well done :smiley: 

When I first passed I used to take the dog with me for company. I also realised I didn't know how to get anywhere and could only go places I'd been by bus. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Oh, and here she is, since I haven't posted a photo:

That's her good side. The other one has a gentle crease in the panel towards the rear, but I'm leaving it there on account of:

1 - It means that if I scrape those gateposts, it won't make me cry too much
    2 - Fixing it would be more than the car's worth
    Great looking car!

Though don't treat it too badly, these cars are getting mentioned in the classic car mags a lot as ones to look out for in the future, prices may well rise.

Best investment - haynes manual and a toolkit. The Haynes manuals aren't amazing but it's better than sod all when you're sat at the side of the road without any phone signal.
    Nitefly said:
    Yay, congrats!  

However, I spot a potential down-side - you'll be spending so much time razzing round in the motor, you'll let this place go to the dogs...  ;)
    On the bright side, it means that I can actually show up at forum meets and bring more than just my guitar :)
    Well done :smiley: 

When I first passed I used to take the dog with me for company. I also realised I didn't know how to get anywhere and could only go places I'd been by bus. 
    That's the worst part - I took my test in Peterborough and I've lived 10 miles away for 36 years, but I don't know the place at all! Seriously, it's like a bloody maze of twisty little passages.
    Foster said:

Great looking car!

Though don't treat it too badly, these cars are getting mentioned in the classic car mags a lot as ones to look out for in the future, prices may well rise.

Best investment - haynes manual and a toolkit. The Haynes manuals aren't amazing but it's better than sod all when you're sat at the side of the road without any phone signal.
    Cheers...for £395, it was an absolute bargain. Admittedly the front brakes needed completely replacing (calipers, discs and pads), but that only cost me £100 for the parts and £100 for a mate to take care of it.

I'll have a look at the Haynes manual and toolkit...although I'm a bit skint having just paid for the tax, insurance and a full tank. I'll have to make do with breakdown cover and hope nothing goes while I'm in a black spot until then...
    <space for hire>