Looking for a beater to compliment a 0-15

What's Hot
JadedJaded Frets: 127
I bought a Martin 0-15 around August last year as my first "serious" acoustic and have played it most days since then for Uni, open mics and so on. Does exactly as I'd like with regards to fingerpicking and sounds fine strumming cowboy chords alongside a singer. 

...but I'm starting to get a little precious about taking it everywhere I go and wouldn't mind a nice beater for those times I know I'll be walking home quite late or playing in a smaller place where it's likely to get a few knocks. Plus it looks like I may be gigging a lot more often and a backup might be a good idea. 

My budget is quite limited at the moment, only around £300. Doesn't have to have a pickup as I have a Rare-Earth Blend already sitting around spare (got it cheap from a friend).

The few options I've weighed up in my head so far are:
1. something similar but cheaper - Guild M20/M120 etc...
2. something similar in size/shape but tonally different - Guild M140/M240, Epiphone EL-00 etc...
3. something completely different - dreadnought, Martin X-series, Guild M125, the new Gretsch "Style 2" etc...
4. not bother and put the money towards a second £1000-ish acoustic - I quite like the look of a J-15 or a D-15/16

It'll be strumming cowboy chords for the most part but I'm sure I'll end up using it for my own material too which is a little more Nick Drake/Neil Young/Jeff Tweedy-ish... in my dreams at least...

...so, any ideas or suggestions? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Buy a used Sigma or Faith. There are loads about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A used Taylor GS mini?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7775
    Just keep playing it.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    Faith 'Naked Series'.
    I've been very impressed by them. If I was buying another acoustic it would be a Faith Mercury.
  • My advice would be to stick with the Martin. In my experience buying an inferior guitar will just result in you putting it to one side when you realise it is not a patch on the one you have.
    However, if you must then maybe a used Yairi New Yorker or second hand Martin Dreadnought Junior.
  • pjfpjf Frets: 331
    I'd say keep using the Martin - yes it will get knocks, but honest ones from gigging which is part of what makes that guitar special to you and unique. Saving up for a j-15 sounds like a good idea but don't rush into a purchase - you might find you prefer a (used?) j-45 or possibly a bigger Martin
  • Sassafras said:
    Faith 'Naked Series'.
    I've been very impressed by them. If I was buying another acoustic it would be a Faith Mercury.
    I've got one of these. It's marvellous.
    However- I wouldn't suggest it as a guitar to take anywhere you'd be concerned about bumping it: the finish is SUPER thin and marks up easily.
    It's the perfect sofa/studio acoustic in that the thin finish doesn't seem to dampen any resonation of the body so it sounds great but mine has already acquired a few superficial marks & I've not had it long.

If it were me I'd take a look at Sigma- they're basically Martin clones on a smaller budget. Had I not gotten an excellent deal on the aforementioned Naked Mercury I would have bought a Sigma (especially the Mahogany ones- they're lovely).
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Well I spent most of the afternoon trying a few guitars around Cambridge.

Not the biggest selection around but I tried a few of the lower end Martins (and a 00-17L for the sake of it!) and a Taylor GS-mini.

I found myself really enjoying the Dreadnought Junior, It's definitely on the short list. The Taylor sounded pretty nice but I just could not get along with the neck (my housemate absolutely loved it though)!

Also have borrowed my housemates Faith Naked Venus for a few days but I am just not clicking with it. At least it's answered if I should go for something with a bigger body, seems a 00 is about my limit

PMT are also ordering in a Guild M-240e for me to have a go on. On paper an arched back F20 sounds like it should be ideal, but I cannot find any real reviews of them so we'll see I suppose!

The Martin is still going to get all the attention regardless but if the Guild doesn't pan out I think I'll save my money and look at something a bit pricier at some point down the line. 
  • I second just using the Martin for everything.
    If it ever dies, get another.