Midi makes me want to kill aarrggh

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    edited January 2017
    The dd500 has midi really well implemented (but an awful manual) why not try hooking that up with a regular midi cable to the daa? If you can't get that working then I'd suspect a fault... 

Also get in touch with disaster area they work alot with chase bliss and should be able to give you a comprehensive walk through.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Teetonetal good tip on the DD500 I'll give that a try tomorrow.

@hotpickups who at DAA is it that you've dealt with? I've email drew@DAA but heard nothing back. If the new DPC5 was on your GAS list then I think I might know where you might be able to find that new release on the 2nd hand market ;-)

@gavrichlist that is a very kind offer but I don't really get up to your part of the world very much, but thank you.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited January 2017
    @FreddieVanHalen they'll be at NAMM at the moment so probably won't get back to you straight away . I had the same problem same time last year. It took a while to catch upon their emails etc as they are still a relatively small company. But they care and I guarantee you'll get a reply soon.

If not..... I'll have that new DPC-5 off your hands ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    This why ppl just buy a helix
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This why ppl just buy a helix
    Na, that's just a lack of imagination :D
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    what channel is the H9 set to receive on ? 

What channel have you set the DA to send on for each device (1ch per device) ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited January 2017
    BOSS manuals are terrible. I have an ES-8 which is amazingly flexible. For example, you can use an analog expression pedal and the ES-8 can convert it to midi CC data so, for example, I can use my Mobius as a wah or alter the speed of the rotary effect. However, there is NO WAY you would be able to figure this out from the manual.

However, once you tinker with it and persevere, you begin to understand the design philosophy behind the unit and soon realise how to make stuff happen.

I wish they would make it easier though.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Where it gets really "interesting" is when you've got MIDI implementations which are crippled in ways which make it really awkward to use them alongside other stuff. Like say a delay pedal which only receives on omni (hello Mr TC) and an amp which can be set to an individual channel but which doesn't fully decode the PC data so that the selections repeat across the whole range (hello Mr Blackstar). I did manage to get everything working smoothly together but it took a while ( the, errr... cryptic nature of the documentation Joyo supply for the midi control side of the PXL loopoer didn't help either...) but I hope it doesn't stop working because I'm not entirely sure how I eventually did it...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2017
    You just need a good Hex Editor and the handshake protocol for begin and end parameters for your equipment. Then it isn't that hard...
    F7 F0
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Got this working using the standard midi socket on the unit and not the multi jack!!

Lord knows what is going on with the multi jack as I was using the DAA special cables and trying to follow their instructions so I'll still need their help on that, but at least I'm up and running.

Thanks everyone for suggestions/ideas for things I might have missed or needed to try out.

And breathe :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah please do keep us updated @FreddieVanHalen . What is the multi jack anyway?
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited January 2017
    Yeah please do keep us updated @FreddieVanHalen . What is the multi jack anyway?
    It's an extra jack socket on the unit that can be configured to do different things like tap tempo, expression pedals, midi or amp switching

DAA sell a couple of special cables to go from that jack socket to either normal midi or direct to a chase bliss pedal without having to use the chase bliss midi box.

In retrospect is was dumb of me to continue to try and configure the multi jack when I was having midi problems as there are several other settings you need to get right and I must still have one of those wrong.

The five pin midi output was always going to be more straightforward to get working...the tea, biscuits and meditation approach got me through this morning. 
  • Yeah please do keep us updated @FreddieVanHalen . What is the multi jack anyway?
    It's an extra jack socket on the unit that can be configured to do different things like tap tempo, expression pedals, midi or amp switching

DAA sell a couple of special cables to go from that jack socket to either normal midi or direct to a chase bliss pedal without having to use the chase bliss midi box.

In retrospect is was dumb of me to continue to try and configure the multi jack when I was having midi problems as there are several other settings you need to get right and I must still have one of those wrong.

The five pin midi output was always going to be more straightforward to get working...the tea, biscuits and meditation approach got me through this morning. 
    Nothing in this world that can't be saved with tea and biscuits........if there is still an issue, add more biscuits.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited January 2017
    The other great thing about MIDI is some manufacturers use 0-127 and others use 1-128 and don't get me started about selecting banks before the patch you want. 
    Having said that, once it clicks in your head it's reasonably straightforward.
    Some devices aren't great at or don't support MIDI thru at all, so I use a dedicated one in multi-output thru box.
  • So to update in case anyone else finds themselves with DPC-5 and Chase Bliss Multi Jack midi issues.

Disaster Area tech support took a day or two to get around to my case but once on it were very helpful, so my experience of the company is very positive and I would agree with @hotpickups that DAA is to be recommended on both products and behaviour as a company.

There were two things I was getting wrong: (boring specifics for future reference of anyone who pulls this thread up in a search)

1. School boy error, I had the MJ - CBA cable plugged in the wrong way around. If you look at the DAA support videos on youtube there are some helpful ones there.

2. Little bit less obvious but the setting in the J CH need to be right and I think there might be some differences between the manuals and videos for the different products DAA make. In the end I had my CBA device as the B device and the J CH set to 10B0; this gave weird behaviour but corrected when I set to 1ABC.
  • Damn I thought I was going to be getting a bargain from a frustrated/ disgruntled user lol

Glad tou got it sorted :)
  • Damn I thought I was going to be getting a bargain from a frustrated/ disgruntled user lol

Glad tou got it sorted :)
    It was pretty bloody close :D 
  • I had one experience that was really frustrating me which I'd thought I'd share in case you experience it. I had set all my delays up but when I connected and saved a preset from the DA unit the delay always reverted to an equal MIX rather than the mix i selected on my timeline. The reason, after a few hours, was if you haven't connected an expression pedal from the designated output from the DA unit then you have to set the delay (in my case the Timeline) EP parameters to 'OFF'. Works flawlessly since then :)

Fantastic product and can't fault them. The only thing I see the G2 having over their stuff is the ability to change the order of pedals on the fly. With the DA of course you'd have to physically move the inserts. Isn't that what we did anyway in the not so distant past that wasn't such a problem ;)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    The only thing I see the G2 having over their stuff is the ability to change the order of pedals on the fly. 
    Have you used a G2 ? 

It's so simple it's almost funny. 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited February 2017
    TimmyO said:
    The only thing I see the G2 having over their stuff is the ability to change the order of pedals on the fly. 
    Have you used a G2 ? 

It's so simple it's almost funny. 
    No because the price is not easy on me Also the size of it and then there's the powering and cabling etc. A small fortune for my usage