iTunes hatred thread

What's Hot
ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
it is fkn shite…
bung a CD in that contains different artists and it splits it into different fkn albums..
AAAAHHHHHH ! ! ! ! ! !

play every note as if it were your first
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2085
    Yep....ditched many years ago...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72469
    You can fix that very easily.

Select all songs. Get info.
    Under 'Album Artist' enter either the artist name that makes the most sense, or 'Various Artists' if you prefer.
    Deselect 'Album is a compilation of songs by various artists'.

There are some things that are annoying about iTunes, but by and large there are simple fixes for all of them. Should you have to? I don't know, but I bet that every alternative has different cataloguing issues that you need to learn the shortcuts to sort out, although they aren't as much fun to bash as iTunes is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Simply stop using iTunes if you don't like it.

If you have a device that only uses iTunes perhaps get another device that runs a music app that you do like.

It's all about choices.
  • ICBM said:

Under 'Album Artist' enter either the artist name that makes the most sense, or 'Various Artists' if you prefer.

There are some things that are annoying about iTunes, but by and large there are simple fixes for all of them. Should you have to? I don't know, but I bet that every alternative has different cataloguing issues that you need to learn the shortcuts to sort out, although they aren't as much fun to bash as iTunes is.
    Clementine doesn't have a problem with this, but then...it was written by people who actually use it. I'd bet that at least half of the developers who've worked on iTunes don't ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    digitalscream said:

I'd bet that at least half of the developers who've worked on iTunes don't ;)
    I would find that surprising since if you use an Apple mobile device - which I assume (almost?) all Apple employees will - then you have very little choice. Which is the Apple Way, I know :).

iTunes certainly isn't perfect, but I sometimes struggle to understand the hatred for it. By and large it does what it's meant to do with very little fuss - at least the way I use it. And I do use it with CDs and multiple devices. There have been times when they've changed things for what appears to be no good reason and I've had to re-learn stuff like this, but that's mostly all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Yes finally ditched iTunes, even after trying to stay on the Apple ecosystem by using Apple Music, which is also rubbish. I'm fast losing the plot with my Mac whilst we are at it. The only thing that keeps me Apple is that they aren't quite yet as bad as Microsoft.
  • ICBM said:
    digitalscream said:

I'd bet that at least half of the developers who've worked on iTunes don't ;)
    I would find that surprising since if you use an Apple mobile device - which I assume (almost?) all Apple employees will - then you have very little choice. Which is the Apple Way, I know :).

iTunes certainly isn't perfect, but I sometimes struggle to understand the hatred for it. By and large it does what it's meant to do with very little fuss - at least the way I use it. And I do use it with CDs and multiple devices. There have been times when they've changed things for what appears to be no good reason and I've had to re-learn stuff like this, but that's mostly all.
    The only problem I have with it is when I encounter it - which is just about everybody I know who uses Apple gear who's ever tried to move to another computer, when it fails almost 100% of the time as far as I can tell.
    <space for hire>
  • dindude said:
    Yes finally ditched iTunes, even after trying to stay on the Apple ecosystem by using Apple Music, which is also rubbish. I'm fast losing the plot with my Mac whilst we are at it. The only thing that keeps me Apple is that they aren't quite yet as bad as Microsoft.
    The irony of this is that Microsoft were actually doing brilliantly - they'd pretty much shed their unreliable development practices, and when they came out with Windows 8 they listened to all the customer feedback and fixed almost all the problems with 8.1. Their software generally played nicely with others, doesn't crash and handled just about everything you threw at it.

Then they threw all of that out the window and decided to go down the Apple route and attempted to make Windows 10 into a pseudo-walled-garden, and the hallowed host of techies wept.
    <space for hire>
    digitalscream said:

The only problem I have with it is when I encounter it - which is just about everybody I know who uses Apple gear who's ever tried to move to another computer, when it fails almost 100% of the time as far as I can tell.
    Another Mac, or a PC? I've moved Mac with mine four times I think, and it's been fine. Just copy the whole iTunes folder including the library from the old one to the new one before you launch iTunes the first time on the new machine and it's worked every time.

• dindude said:

My experience with Windows 10 has been very positive, with one niggle - it keeps trying to convince me, via the notifications in the corner, to use edge browser and cortana. 

I use Chrome as I can sync my data to my Android. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4192
    ICBM said:

I don't get the hatred for it either - it does a reasonable job in a slightly clunky fashion. I think we're possibly in a club with two members though, poor old iTunes really seems to cop it :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7482
    I first hated it on PC where it was much worse than it is on Mac.

Then when I became a Mac user it found new ways to feck me off.

Albums I own and had ripped many itunes version before, which had all been fine and dandy for years, suddenly after one update were wrong. Some songs from the album had the right album artwork, some did not. 

Also, rather than sync my actual files so that they could be accessed online from my iphone (as had previously been the case) they thought no, we have these songs already, these are your files now. But in doing so the same buggy recognition that fucked up album art started mixing up live and studio versions of songs willy nilly.

I now keep NO music in itunes and pay for a family Spotify account. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    ICBM said:

this works.. thanks I didn't know about this..

I have many movie  and game soundtrack albums for research purposes [and ripping off… lmao]
    for example.. Hans Zimmer albums will often contain many artists.. so this can be a real prob..

looks like I have much fixing to do
  • Just sitting here reading this thread on my iPad.  I have to say that I never have problems with iTunes.  Apple stuff is great - it just works!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4192
    Just sitting here reading this thread on my iPad.  I have to say that I never have problems with iTunes.  Apple stuff is great - it just works!
    I use a Mac and Windows PC at work interchangeably - I'm a programmer by trade. They work in an almost identical fashion, and are about as reliable as each other (they both crash a bit). 

My only bugbear is that one is three times the price of the other :)
    TimmyO said:

Albums I own and had ripped many itunes version before, which had all been fine and dandy for years, suddenly after one update were wrong. Some songs from the album had the right album artwork, some did not.
    This is also easy to fix, but if you're not using iTunes any more you won't need to know how :). It does seems to sometimes have little fits like this when updates come through, although not always.

It is true that by being very (I mean very, so things like that really piss me off ;) ) OCD about cataloguing my music library in just the way I want, I've learned a lot of these little tricks - and it would certainly be a huge amount of work if I had to start from scratch again.

Clarky said:
    ICBM said:

this works.. thanks I didn't know about this..

I have many movie  and game soundtrack albums for research purposes [and ripping off… lmao]
    for example.. Hans Zimmer albums will often contain many artists.. so this can be a real prob..

looks like I have much fixing to do
    thanks to this lil' gem of advice everything is mended now…
    my hatred of iTunes has calmed down a bit now… lol..

Just sitting here reading this thread on my iPad.  I have to say that I never have problems with iTunes.  Apple stuff is great - it just works!
    as with most computery things, you can be just a click or two from the solution…
    but until you know what clicks in what order, it'll frustrate your tits off

ICBM said:

have a wiz
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    ICBM said:

As soon as you have to fix stuff it has failed. 

Any music software that can't organise itself is utter shite. In this day and age iTunes is pathetic.

I hate iTunes with a passion.