Graphics card installation help

Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
So my son has bought himself a new graphics card and "donated" his old one to me as mine is crap apparently, the replacement is a Dual-X R9 270x 2G D5 and my current is Radeon R7 200 (which works fine after all  Company of Heroes isn`t exactly demanding).

The issue is that I cannot run them together in order to install the drivers for the new one but if I remove the R7 and install the other the screen is black and therefore no way to muck about with anything without a display. I have checked on partpicker and all the other hardware is compatible so am at a bit of a loss. They are connected via HDMI to the monitor.

Anyone have any ideas?

For what it`s worth the new card has been sat on my window cill for a month now and I haven't given him the £80 he wants for it....yet so need to either install of list on Ebay
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Sounds to me you have not Uninstaller the precious driver before replacing,  Uninstall  the old one whilst it's still in, turn off and replace g card, turn back on and it will use windows default drivers and the card will work,   then update driver, if it 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    I've generally done it by uninstalling the drivers for the existing card - it'll drop back to something like 800x600 at that point. Then shut down, swap cards and start up again. You'll need to then install the new drivers (which you'll have already downloaded and definitely not forgotten about).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • What you need to do is 

1. Put the original card back in
    2. Boot to Windows (I assume) 
    3. Uninstall graphics driver for original card (Google if you need instructions) 
    4. Switch pc off
    5. Install new card
    6. Boot PC
    7. Install new drivers 

• Or try using the Monitor out on the motherboard (if the MB has a built in GPU most do)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625

Given up (for) now...............

Uninstalling the previous gpu drivers was a nightmare but got there using DDU, removed the old GPU, new one in booted to a blank screen, asked son for driver disk, ended up arguing as hes lost it, booted with old GPU in for a google search, discover its a pain in the arse card etc etc, MB wont detect the new GPU and doesn't have an on-board GPU so cant boot to a screen.

Unless I can sort out crossfire then I`ll leave it as is as need to do invoicing and accounting this morning, may resume the battle later.

Cheers for the replies anyway.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    edited January 2017
    Your motherboard will have some kind of integrated graphics, or a way of plugging a monitor in (probably via DVI). I would connect your monitor to your mobo with the new card in, and download the drivers etc.

FWIW I've never had to uninstall old drivers or anything when swapping graphics cards - although admittedly with Nvidia it's a single driver for every card.
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    Try booting into safe mode when you start the PC, Usually by pressing the F8 key when it is starting up, this should run windows in basic mode to see if the new card works in standard VGA mode..
    Jock
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Had another go this afternoon and managed to find the driver disk, however there are no drivers for windows 10 so it looks like a no go, oh well 80 quid saved :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    A quick Google suggests that it's supported by the latest AMD Catalyst driver utility.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."