How do you 'learn' to sing?

What's Hot
Our fortnightly musical get together's [drums, lead guitar/vocals, rhythm guitar/vocals and me on the bass] are great fun, a reason to practice and an opportunity to experiment musically.  In the 'experiment musically' mode I would like to sing a few songs at these sessions.  But my voice has a very limited range.  Singing the Major Scale in the key of C, I struggle to reach the F note accurately.  I am on the lookout for songs that my limited vocal range can cope with.  And I am hoping that some of you guys can suggest ways of increasing my vocal range.

I don't know of anyone i(n our locality) that teaches singing so that possibility is out.  Any suggestions or songs to sing would be very appreciated.  Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2085
    Got to be some guidance / lessons on Youtube?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4039
    edited January 2017
    Rocker said:
    But my voice has a very limited range.  Singing the Major Scale in the key of C, I struggle to reach the F note accurately.  I am on the lookout for songs that my limited vocal range can cope with.  And I am hoping that some of you guys can suggest ways of increasing my vocal range
    Work out your current vocal range:  the lowest note and the highest note. 
    The notes have numbers too (and of course positions on a stave) to say which octave they belong to.  So your top "F note" I'm guessing is the F above middle C, aka F4.

With your lowest note and your highest note known you can then transpose songs to fit your current range.  These are the ones you can currently sing.  I know it sounds obvious but I know a singer who has not grasped this point, does not know his range, and therefore does not know when he can't manage a song. 

But once you know your range you can extend it a bit (others will chime in) but for now you can change song keys when necessary, practise singing and working on your delivery.  I think that's what people actually listen to rather than "range".  People don't care that you can't get to G4 if your F4 sounds good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4558
    Also, try dropping your guitar strings down a whole tone. That helped our singer no end
  • What Grunfeld said, and once you've got the key that suits your vocal range sorted you can transpose songs you want to sing into that key.  If they're not too complicated it shouldn't be a problem for your jam buddies to play them in "your" key.  You could also consult with some vocal teachers to see if they can help you expand your range, I'm not a vocalist and don't know but it can't hurt to inquire.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1779
    A lot of the basics of good singing is down to posture and breathing. It can be amazing how much easier it is to hit the higher notes if you're stood and breathing right. I'm sure there'll be youtube videos to explain how to do them properly rather than trying to explain with text here.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4986
    Thanks guys.  I will workout what my vocal range is and, with that information, I can adjust the key to suit me.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    As others have said get some lessons if you can. Vocal exercises will help develop your muscles and breathing if done correctly. There is quite a lot to it if you are starting from scratch and always some annoying bugger with no knowledge or theory who just naturally sings and sounds amazing. The rest of us have to work!

• Ken Tamplin has some great video's on Youtube. I actually bought level one of his course and (think I) sing better because of it.
    Supporting the note from your diaphragm is a key component, as is keeping your throat open and relaxed.
    Not being afraid to let the notes out is another thing. If your tightening up because you're scared of being heard or not reaching what you're going for, that will squash the sound away.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Exercises. As a nipper I was in a semi pro male voice choir. 90% of rehearsal was exercise and ear training.

Diaphragm strengthening, projection from your forehead, and range development. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom