I'm so excited...(Sabbath content)

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
edited January 2017 in Music
...and I just can't hide it! Sabbath at the O2. This a lifetime event for me, never seen them before but been a fan for over 30 years. Currently sat having a San Miguel and some Mexican grub before I go in!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    cruxiform said:
    ...and I just can't hide it! Sabbath at the O2. This a lifetime event for me, never seen them before but been a fan for over 30 years. Currently sat having a San Miguel and some Mexican grub before I go in!
    Enjoy!

O2 ain't a bad venue either
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6914
    I saw Rival Sons last night at the Leadmill and they were superb, so make sure you se them as they are the support band.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    I hope they're as good for you as they were for us at the Glasgow Hydro. I'd never seen them before either but I was aware time is running out, sadly. Just awesome in every way. It's a shame Bill Ward isn't with them, but you perhaps can't have everything.

Enjoy!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    edited January 2017
    Thanks guys. Well, that was fucking epic. Just got in. They were superb!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    cruxiform said:
    Thanks guys. Well, that was fucking epic. Just got in. There were superb!
    Ears still ringing? ;)
    cruxiform said:
    Ears still ringing? ;)
    Not too bad. I'm half deaf anyway :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    I saw Rival Sons last night at the Leadmill and they were superb, so make sure you se them as they are the support band.
    I'm gutted I missed them at the Glasgow gig..  when we arrived the queue was just too long so we went for a couple of pint... then came back just in time for Sabbath. Didn't realise rival sons were on until I read about the tour the next day! Doh
    edited January 2017
    funkyfraz said:
    mrkb said:
    I'm gutted I missed them at the Glasgow gig..  when we arrived the queue was just too long so we went for a couple of pint... then came back just in time for Sabbath. Didn't realise rival sons were on until I read about the tour the next day! Doh
    I have to admit to not being hugely impressed. They had a great sound but no memorable songs or hooks at all.

cruxiform said:
    Ears still ringing? ;)
    They weren't *that* loud at Glasgow - no ringing ears the next day - but the sound was absolutely massive. Which is definitely the way round it should be.

Epic is definitely the right word!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I saw Sabbath the last time they had a reunion at Download 06. They were awful (well, Ozzy was).
  • ICBM said:
    funkyfraz said:
    mrkb said:
    I have to admit to not being hugely impressed. They had a great sound but no memorable songs or hooks at all.

cruxiform said:
    Ears still ringing? ;)
    They weren't *that* loud at Glasgow - no ringing ears the next day - but the sound was absolutely massive. Which is definitely the way round it should be.

The hydro is a funny venue. Sound-wise, it's immense without being too loud. But I find it a bit sterile. Saying that, I was literally 4th row from the back wall so it was like watching 4 ants on stage.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16300
    ICBM said:
    funkyfraz said:
    mrkb said:
    I found their last album a bit disappointing and the previous ones rather inconsistent. The good stuff is really good but if they were doing a rock set for the Sabbath audience I can imagine it being their default Led Zep noise. I think this is my favourite, sort of Northern Soul Meets glam rock: 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    funkyfraz said:

The hydro is a funny venue. Sound-wise, it's immense without being too loud. But I find it a bit sterile. Saying that, I was literally 4th row from the back wall so it was like watching 4 ants on stage.
    I was about five rows behind you then :). [Cough]… hospitality box… on a friend's business invitation ;).

Actually although it was very nice to be given the VIP treatment (especially getting in) it was a bit un-rock'n'roll, to be honest.

They were a bit ant-like, yes - but the big screen made up for it a lot. Some of the visual effects were very cool, without spoiling the 'liveness' of it which can sometimes be a problem in stadiums.

ICBM said:

Indeed. The sound was massive! They were majestic from start to finish. Managed to grab a bit of video right at the end:

• Glad you enjoyed it.. Having a number of incarnations over the years, I saw them at Download last year... Ozzy was so badly out of tune I walked off.... I'd seen them at the MEN and Download a year or so earlier with Ozzy and he was amazing; as the rest of them always are... but I decided to avoid the "farewell" having seen the writing on the wall.. A number of my friends said the Manchester farewell show also suffered from out of tune vocals.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

He was actually very good in Glasgow - a couple of dodgy notes in War Pigs and maybe another one somewhere else… can't remember exactly. But much, much better than some of the horror stories had led me to expect.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Glad you enjoyed it.. Having a number of incarnations over the years, I saw them at Download last year... Ozzy was so badly out of tune I walked off.... I'd seen them at the MEN and Download a year or so earlier with Ozzy and he was amazing; as the rest of them always are... but I decided to avoid the "farewell" having seen the writing on the wall.. A number of my friends said the Manchester farewell show also suffered from out of tune vocals.
    A friend of mine filmed that Download show for broadcast and wasn't allowed to release it because it was so bad.

He was only allowed to release it if the entire thing had been sent off to some bloke in LA, who Sharon knows - he would then correct the vocal track to make it listenable.

That was why Sky didn't have any Sabbath footage on their Download 2016 shows.

I saw Sabbath at BST a couple of years ago - Ozzy wasn't brilliant, but it was just.... Sabbath. :)

• One of my favourite bands, first saw them on the Never Say Die tour.

Kinda sad to see them bow out, but really pleased they've bowed out with such class. 

Here's to a well earned rest for them all. 
  • I am really glad that those when went had a blast. If I could have got my act together and bought decent seats I would have liked to have gone for old times sake. 

One thing that does bug me a little is the limited range of songs that seem to have been in the setlists forever. There is so much great stuff on Vol. 4, SBS and Sabotage that they have rarely performed.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    I am really glad that those when went had a blast. If I could have got my act together and bought decent seats I would have liked to have gone for old times sake. 

One thing that does bug me a little is the limited range of songs that seem to have been in the setlists forever. There is so much great stuff on Vol. 4, SBS and Sabotage that they have rarely performed.
    I think for a last tour they probably thought they just had to go out and play the greatest hits. They did play Hand Of Doom, which is supposedly unusual…

I didn't really mind just hearing the classics, but that's probably because I'd never seen them before - it must get a bit repetitive after a while if you have. I wouldn't have minded if they'd skipped Dirty Women either.

edited January 2017
    Going back to Ozzy's voice, on Sunday generally I thought he sang very well, albeit with a couple of wobbles but nothing disastrous. There was a point where Geezer and Tony were playing in different keys but that was quickly resolved :)