Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

fave live albums and recommendations

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Some great shouts here, but no mention of The Grateful Dead's "Live Dead"?  

First heard it around 1970/1, and it was the first time I'd discovered that you could play solos outside the minor pentatonic!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    edited February 2017
    fob said:

I'll add another: Ahmad Jamal - Live at the Pershing-But Not For Me which I'm sure I've listened to more than all other live albums combined but is jazz rather than pop/rock.

@fob - I didn't realise anyone else on here had even heard of Ahmad Jamal!  Is that still available?

My old man was lucky enough to have seen him live at his club in Chicago, and I used to listen to a studio album (can't recall what it was called) that had "Donkey Serenade", "They Can't Take That Away From Me", and (I think) "I'll Remember April".

It was an unusual trio for the time as they had no drummer, just AJ on piano, bass (I think Ray Brown, who was Ella Fitzgerald's husband) and guitar.  The guitarist was Ray Crawford, and he had a weird comping style that sounded like Latin percussion!

*edit* wrong on the bass player - it was Israel Crosby (what a great name!).
  • fobfob Frets: 1431

Easily one of my favourite artists and I'm very envious of your dad. He played in London a few years ago and I found out the about it the following day - I was surprised at how upset I was that I'd missed it.

I've had to satisfy myself with YT videos of his later live stuff and think it's just incredible that someone in their 80's can be releasing new music and performing at such a high standard. I try to keep an eye on him now and when he starts touring again I think we'll have to book a holiday around his dates.

Someone in the thread mentioned that a lot of jazz/classical recordings are, almost by default, live recordings so it felt a little disingenuous to include them here but, as I already have, I'll add another: Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert. Jazz but with a clear classical influence. I think both albums are quite an easy listen for someone who doesn't generally listen to jazz or classical and Jarrett, in particular, gives a master class on improv.

• RickydRickyd Frets: 149

Who, Live at Leeds

Wishbone Ash, Live Dates

Genesis, Seconds Out

Black Crowes and Jimmy Page, Live at the Greek

UFO, Lights Out in Tokyo, Lawrence Archer playing superbly.

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Live at the Reading Festival (1994)
    I'm much more of a Frusciante fan when it comes to RHCP, but enjoyed Dave Navarros take on the earlier material. The version of Aeroplane with the missing solo is funny too. Don't be put off by the awful vocals on Warped!

Jimi Hendrix - Radio One 
    Just sounded like they were having a good time, enjoyed the Day Tripper cover too :)
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4800
    edited February 2017
    Yessongs. Not the best recording, but it captures the band playing at the height of their powers. 
    I think I've got that record somewhere. If I have I've never listened to it. I'd kind of assumed it was recorded later, so would have had stuff on it I'm less bothered about (so why did I buy it? who knows?), but if it's Yes Album/Fragile/Close To The Edge stuff I might have to dig it out and give it a blast.
    @english_bob ;You should, then. It was their tour to promote Close To The Edge. Three tracks have Bill on drums, the rest have Alan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have we had Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads? I have the DVD, I absolutely love it.

I also have Elvis - 76, which isn't bad for Fat Elvis, and Horrible Music For Horrible People By This Horror-ble Band by The Meteors, which is a bit of a riot.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1798
    My favourite live album is Live at the Royal Albert Hall by Spiritualized. Such a great set of songs performed by the band at their peak.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom