Finding the right boost pedal

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Stupid question: how do boost pedals (generally) play with solid state amps?

I use a Peavey Studio (basically a bandit) as a clean platform and then add pedals in front. I'm very happy with the sound but sometimes I think I want a booster of some kind just to add a bit of that special something but I've never been sure whether a booster into a SS amp would just sound a bit crap?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I've heard that Peavey bandits actually respond quite well to boosts but generally I think the advice is to keep your SS amps un boosted.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    @unclepsychosis i just went through all this, i have a bandit 65 solo and in the end got a spark boost to try and liven it up a bit. Yeah it works a treat, definately reccomend it, plus its great in front of my new marvel drive too.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    edited February 2017
    Little bump with another question!

Last night at band we tried tuning down to D standard  (drop c for a few tracks) - we really liked the lower tuning, bit less of "classic rock" vibe than our usual Eb. Problem is it made my tone lose any kind of punch/thickness/weight behind it. Exact same setup and room as last week but it just wasn't right. I've got some thicker strings on the way but can this be remedied with a boost? Or do we need to grow up and tune back up?

Annoyingly I didn't take my TS808 clone to try - I don't like that at home but would it sort me out in this situation? I know it can be useful for that sort of thing. Likewise the rat.

Any real difference between TS variants like the 808/ts9/sd1 etc ? With the gain low and using as a boost is there any difference between asymmetrical and symmetrical clipping?
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    klon centaur clone..
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Dr Scientist Cleanness. Fantastic boost with full tone controls. One here:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/3258932-dr-scientist-the-cleanness-vinyl-multi-colour-rare-number-12