making a band website

What's Hot
So I'm rejoining my old band as the new one is dead on the water and not going anywhere. Realised that I was far happier before and playing out a lot more often.

One of the things that always bugged me though was how awful the website is. So I told them that if I rejoin I want to get some thing simple but good put together. Surely can't be that hard? I'm prepared to do it but:

It's been a long time since I've done something like that. Last time I used wordpress, which was ok. anything better out there now? Ideally super easy to use but will create something functional.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just be careful you're not wasting your time - does your band rely on its website for bookings etc? If not, maybe just create a Facebook page and be done with it.
    Wordpress is as good as anything - complete overkill in terms of features but at least you can fiddle about and trim it down to just what you need. And there's plenty of tutorials and a strong community.
  • I'm currently making a website with squarespace - it's excellent. Costs money, yes, but there are discount codes everywhere and you can purchase your own domain for an extra fee. 

The main reason it's so good is because every template is very well optimised - whether it's viewed on a 5k imac, a 2k pc or a mobile phone it'll look good and work well. 

The layout I've picked I'm not 100 percent happy with, but I only worked on it for a couple of hours - it's easy to pick a new template and start over. Mine really just needs a simple portfolio page, a page with work/customer projects that are password protected for customers to download images from and a contact page. In an ideal world, I'll also have a fourth page with personal projects on too. 

You can add a feature to prevent right clicking, too, which makes it harder for people to steal your work. To be honest, I'm of the mindset that if someone wants to steal, there will be a way but if you wanted that, it's there. 

There are templates designed for bands. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    A Facebook page would make more sense IMHO, easy to edit, easy for others to share......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7806
    Biggest reason for not using Facebook is that it's not so popular here. They do have a page but the old site got a lot more traffic by all accounts. 

Website is used generally as a media pack and is certainaly looked at for bookings etc. 

Will have a look at squarespace. 

The band already has hosting and domain name, so really is a case of just updating what they have to something better.
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 456

My dad uses Wix for his art page, I think it has plenty of templates and layouts etc..

If him and my mum can put one together on there it must be fairly idiot proof...

View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • I use WordPress for my horror fiction blog and it's been great so far. I currently use the free version but I might upgrade to paid at some point.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Wordpress and a pre-made theme from Themeforest would be my suggestion :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    I haven't clicked on any band's website for years, do they still have them?
    p90fool said:
    It's more designed as a place to show booking agents with videos, tracks and press in one place rather than generating public interest. 
  • My two cents:
    Don't put lots of words on it. Get some nice photos and videos, audio clips, but keep the text concise and snappy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    p90fool said:
    how many bands have you booked? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    p90fool said:
    It's more designed as a place to show booking agents with videos, tracks and press in one place rather than generating public interest. 
    I think if you are hoping people will find you in a search ( polka band in Halifax)then website, if you think people will only search by band name ( ( The Fat Tomatoes, best polka band in Halifax) then I suspect Facebook would do. I've certainly seen websites for reasonably well known bands that are pretty much placeholders to direct you to their social media.

The other @RocknRollDave gem is that an out of date website is worse than no website. If you can't commit to regularly updating the information again Facebook does this better. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Website will be presented by us to agents.  Not hoping people stumble across it. Simply a media resource.  Which is why I think it needs to be simple but good and up to date.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    TimmyO said:
    p90fool said:
    how many bands have you booked? 
    Not a single one, but I'm in one which gets booked about 80 times a year.

We only do fairly local stuff though to be fair, so it's largely word of mouth/Facebook.

I actually have no idea what proper bands do these days tbh, I haven't really gone chasing up any bands for work since the MySpace days.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    WordPress sounds overkill .. it needs regularly updating to fix bugs and security issues.

If you're after a system well optimised website that works on all devices just get a Bootstrap template.

Or there are tools that use the Bootstrap framework with drag and drop blocks. This code can be turned into a WordPress site later if the need arises. This tool is free:

https://mobirise.com/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Fretwired that looks a good shout! Thanks.