SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: 1979 Peavey T40 w/ OHSC

What's Hot
ben_wuhben_wuh Frets: 21
edited January 2017 in Guitars £
http://imgur.com/a/zUqlZ

OK, first things first: yes, it's heavy. (More on that later.)

For sale is my '79 Peavey T40 in natural, which I've owned for around four years. It was bought whilst I was playing bass in a band which has since split, and since I'm a guitar player in the main, this isn't getting used.

There's loads of info about these out there, but the basic rundown is this: USA-made, North American Ash body, maple neck, and two humbuckers which turn into single coils when their respective tone control is dialled back to 8. As well as the pickup selector there's an in/out phase switch, all of which adds up to a hell of a lot of tonal variety. There's a good summary of the possibilities here, and an excellent feature on the history of the instrument as told by @FlatEricCollector and Peavey's Chip Todd here.

This one is in 100% working order from top to bottom, currently strung with flatwounds which gives a fantastic thump to the sound that really anchors in the mix in a live environment. Plays smooth, medium action, loads of life in the frets. The build quality is as good as everyone says it is - it feels completely indestructible.

It's in good but not perfect condition, with various bumps and scrapes over the body and some discolouration on the top and bottom edge (see pics). It's all purely cosmetic. At some point in its life someone obviously got a bit carried away with the campfire sing-a-longs and melted the top part of the case (pictured), but it still shuts and functions perfectly.

The E-string tuning peg has also had a screw swapped out for a non-matching alternative at some point (pictured). I had every intention of sorting this out when I bought it, but never bothered as it functions exactly as it should. Seriously - the tuners on this thing are practically ornamental. 

Finally, the weight: around 12lbs, from what I recall. I umm-ed and ahh-ed about buying this for a while because of concerns about the weight, but with a wide leather strap it's never bothered me a jot. Given the way this thing sounds, feels and plays relative to the cost, it feels like a more than fair trade-off. I've not lusted after another bass since I owned it.

£400. Collection from SE London only due to aforementioned anchor-like qualities.

Ta!  :)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    I know, I know.. I've seen it.

Thing is, I've been eyeing up a Mesa D-800 on Basschat today as well and if I'm honest it's amps I need not basses..

Having said that, this T-40 is pretty much identical to one I borrowed in the late 80's early 90's, (which confirms it was a T-40 I had), and they are spectacular basses for tone, build quality and reliability.. @ben_wuh is right tho, they do weigh quite a bit.. *cough*

Need to mull this one over me thinks..
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Do it! Do it! ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    That's a beauty. What's the neck width like?
    JezWynd said:
    That's a beauty. What's the neck width like?
    If it's anything like the one I had for a while then it's a lot like a classic late 70's P. 

They are nice, chunky but not too chunky necks. They would be a better weapon than a tele as well.. serious whacking potential. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    Thanks for info @Bridgehouse. Weight wouldn't be a problem for me as I play seated mostly but I prefer a slimmer neck.
    JezWynd said:
    Thanks for info @Bridgehouse. Weight wouldn't be a problem for me as I play seated mostly but I prefer a slimmer neck.
    The OP would of course need to confirm, but IIRC nut width was bang on 40mm or so, with a relatively slim profile right up to the pocket. My '74 P actually feels really similar to the T-40 did - it's 40mm ish as well and slim. The T-40 was certainly slimmer than the Stingray I have. 

Then again, it's my understanding that there was a bit of variance in the Peaveys - depending on year etc.. so this one could be a fattie..@ben_wuh ?
  • ben_wuhben_wuh Frets: 21
    Cheers guys!

@JezWynd Bridgehouse has already given you more context than I could, but I'd call it a mid-sized C. I've smallish, Trumpian hands and it's comfortable for me.

@Bridgehouse You're right about the weapon thing. I think it'd survive the apocalypse, which means at least the cockroaches will have something to play.

@Bridgehouse @JezWynd I can't confirm the nut width offhand, but I'll measure tonight and let you know! 
    ben_wuh said:
    Cheers guys!

@JezWynd Bridgehouse has already given you more context than I could, but I'd call it a mid-sized C. I've smallish, Trumpian hands and it's comfortable for me.

@Bridgehouse You're right about the weapon thing. I think it'd survive the apocalypse, which means at least the cockroaches will have something to play.

If ever a bass were made for surviving rough gigs then this is it! I once played a wedding with it and a massive fight broke out. I felt really quite safe. The T-40 of righteous justice would have sorted any overspill into the band.. and it would have carried on regardless after a few whacks had been administered as well.

If the d-800 hadn't just surfaced on my radar I'd be all over this - the late 70's early 80's USA Peaveys are massively underrated. Massively. If this had musicman on the headstock it would be the same quality but 4x the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @JezWynd @Bridgehouse the results are in - it's 43mm at the nut.
    ben_wuh said:
    @JezWynd @Bridgehouse the results are in - it's 43mm at the nut.
    Bit wider than mine was. That puts it in standard P bass territory then. 

To to be fair they were pretty P bass like back in the day... (apart from the tonal variation of course!)
  • Beyonce's baby bump
  • Bump! Anyone got a tele to trade?