What's Hot

Comments

• octatonic;145756" said:
    Panama_Jack666 said:

octatonic said:

Panama_Jack666 said:

octatonic said:

meltedbuzzbox said:

This thing looks like a flattened bulls bollock with a neck and pickups, blergh

It is an ergonomic guitar made by Texan luthier Chris Forshage called an Orion.I own that specific guitar and it is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I own, with incredible balance and ergonomics.It is also the instrument that got me into guitar building.

HUH?Not at all.I don't see how anyone can possibly consider giving a bit of info about a guitar 'an escalation'.

I'm not gonna lie, I was looking for an excuse to use that meme!

I'm going to look into what other work Chris Forshage has done. It's an interesting design!

Ah ok.

It is a very special guitar.I get how people think it is a bit ugly, but I love it to bits.I think from certain angles it is quite pretty:

http://www.jamesrichmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_5628.jpg

FWIW, I bought it after having several rounds of surgery, and for a long time it was the only guitar I could play for more than 10-15 minutes without pain.
    It does look good in the photo you've taken and it is a nice top. Any video/audio of it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic;145771" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

@octatonic what are those two routes in the side? Is that weight relief or is it hiding something?

They are basically the same as F holes- it is a hollow body guitar, really.They are on the top because you get less feedback with gain at stage volumes because the holes are 90 degrees to the speaker cone.
    That's really cool. I've never thought of that before, but I suppose it makes sense.

Sounds like a very interesting builder. That neck heel looks great, too!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33891
    edited January 2014
    It does look good in the photo you've taken and it is a nice top. Any video/audio of it?
    That was one of the pics Chris took before sending it to me.

Here is me dicking around on it just after getting it.

Out of curiosity- did you know it was owned by me when you posted it to the thread?
    Wondering how you came to be aware of it.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2947
    Where did my post go?
    Bidley said:
    Where did my post go?
    Which one?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2947
    octatonic said:
    Bidley said:
    Where did my post go?
    Which one?
    The Tele photo. I assume it got lost somehow, either that or a conspiracy is afoot!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17829
    tFB Trader
    My personal bugbears are pooburst guitars (except Jazz Basses and Jazz Boxes) and gold hardware

Also excessive amounts of pearl and abalone especially pearly pickguards and bling binding like this:

I also don't really like SGs (don't hate them though) which is weird because I used to love them,
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4059
    octatonic said:
    @octatonic what are those two routes in the side? Is that weight relief or is it hiding something?
    They are basically the same as F holes- it is a hollow body guitar, really.
    They are on the top because you get less feedback with gain at stage volumes because the holes are 90 degrees to the speaker cone.
    What's the weight of it?

I ask because I've got a Breadwinner (Eastwood, not Ovation), and while it's comfy to play sitting down it's got to be the heaviest bugger ever.  Just a big slab of wood really.
    Grunfeld said:
    octatonic said:
    They are basically the same as F holes- it is a hollow body guitar, really.
    They are on the top because you get less feedback with gain at stage volumes because the holes are 90 degrees to the speaker cone.
    What's the weight of it?

I ask because I've got a Breadwinner (Eastwood, not Ovation), and while it's comfy to play sitting down it's got to be the heaviest bugger ever.  Just a big slab of wood really.
    Slightly over 6lbs.
    It feels lighter on.
  • Bucket said:
    This thing looks like a flattened bulls bollock with a neck and pickups, blergh

@octatonic
    @Bucket I have a drink for you

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4059
    octatonic said:
    Slightly over 6lbs.
    It feels lighter on.
    That's a lot lighter than a Breadwinner.  That's as light as my V.

I've just realised, I've also got a fluorescent pink Ibanez RG, same colour as  the JEM.  So two of my guitars are "nearly gawd-awful" ;)
  • octatonic said:
    That was one of the pics Chris took before sending it to me.

Here is me dicking around on it just after getting it.

Out of curiosity- did you know it was owned by me when you posted it to the thread?
    Wondering how you came to be aware of it.
    Sounds pretty good! Great playing to boot too!

Wasn't me who mentioned the Forshage in the first place I'm afraid. It's not a thinline, double humbucker, bigsby abomonation so it's alright in my eyes... just a strange shape!
  • vizviz Frets: 10760
    JookyChap said:
    I like the Tele, but I know what you mean.

The one that I've never really got is the Ibanez Jem (??) which I've always assumed is a crayola signature model of some sort...awful looking things and then horrendous colour schemes. (The exception are the Swirls which I really quite like, just maybe on a proper grown-up guitar)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ocLjbdR2Hzw/S-h8deanQpI/AAAAAAAAMF4/GEgNq3tWMW4/s1600/1989-ibanez-jem-777sk-lg.jpg

In summary, yeurch

My dream guitar!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    JookyChap said:
    I like the Tele, but I know what you mean.

The one that I've never really got is the Ibanez Jem (??) which I've always assumed is a crayola signature model of some sort...awful looking things and then horrendous colour schemes. (The exception are the Swirls which I really quite like, just maybe on a proper grown-up guitar)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ocLjbdR2Hzw/S-h8deanQpI/AAAAAAAAMF4/GEgNq3tWMW4/s1600/1989-ibanez-jem-777sk-lg.jpg

In summary, yeurch

My dream guitar!

OK, I just wanted to use that meme too. I'll stop now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1198
    Anything, literally anything by Burns.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything, literally anything by Burns.

Burns have more or less patented ugly design.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    A Floyd on an acoustic - someone has to send that to our favourite sausage-fingered dickbrain on ebay!!!

• robwright said:
    A Floyd on an acoustic - someone has to send that to our favourite sausage-fingered dickbrain on ebay!!!
    He'd only get upset at the humbucker in the neck position. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom