Deke Leonard RIP

What's Hot
scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11365
Probably not a name known to many on here but such sad news of the passing of Deke, guitarist with Man and Deke Leonard's Iceberg.

With the late great Mickey Jones he formed one of the best twin guitar partnerships in Man, and was no slouch with the pen either, having written several books and numerous newspaper and magazine columns.

RIP Deke, no doubt you and Mickey will be tearing the place apart with a celestial version of C'Mon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12444
    Blimey, didn't expect that. He seemed really well last time I saw him play, it wasn't that long ago. RIP Deke, a great musician and fabulous story teller. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6758
    I saw Man several times (being from South Wales). Deke was a great player, he'll be missed..... RIP Deke. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited February 2017
    Noooooo!

i got his 'Kamikaze' album as a yoof and it made a big impression. As did his work with Man.

Nice clip of him here with Mickey. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Christmas At The Patti was the best £1.49 I ever spent!

http://www.securecrazydiamond.com/dizq/55031.jpg

Sad indeed...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Spunk Rock

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    Oh bugger.  I remember them well.  RIP.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3025
    He was putting out some good banter on his fb page recently. What a guy, devastating news. One of the all time greats.

I was going all out to go see him play with Son of Man a few weeks back but couldn't get there. Lesson there is to take the chance to go see your hero's while you can.

We will keep our eyes open for your tele' Deke.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11365
    blobb said:
    We will keep our eyes open for your tele' Deke.
    He referred to the person who stole it as an "ulcerous fuckdog".
  • Bugger! Seems like a whole generation is disappearing. Have a fondness for Man in various incarnations but only got to see them from the 80s onwards when that lean four piece could be superb. Supported them once just after Mickey got ill when George was in his place. The dressing room was very, shall we say, aromatic. 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    He was right.

Can't believe there is no real outpouring going on, people obviously not aware of the MAN band. Which is very sad reflection on society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6YKcEXqu2I&feature=share

• chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    edited February 2017
    @blobb Whilst they were great at what they did I think they were a bit left field for lots of folks, kind of unique really, not hard rock, prog rock, space rock, country rock etc, closer to West Coast acid weirdness at times and that was never a big thing here
    Don't agree. The songwriting on Wino's is as good as anything. I guess they were popular in their day, just lost in the midst of time. That's the sad thing for me. I mourn Deke and Mickey far more than Bowie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Man were always a better live band than in the studio, I think that's why they didn't get much radio airtime. Although I saw them quite a few times in the 70s I always wish I'd been at the Roundhouse when the Greasy Truckers gig was recorded, that version of Spunk Rock is such a stunning track. 

Btw, if any Man fans haven't read any of Deke's books, they're really worthwhile. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23199
    merlin said:
    I saw Man several times (being from South Wales). Deke was a great player, he'll be missed..... RIP Deke. 
    Having grown up in South Wales Man was a band I was very much aware of, although I never really heard much of their music.  Sorry to hear Deke Leonard has died, I gather he became a bit of a raconteur in recent years and I have watched some of those clips on YouTube.
  • blobb said:
    Don't agree. The songwriting on Wino's is as good as anything. I guess they were popular in their day, just lost in the midst of time. That's the sad thing for me. I mourn Deke and Mickey far more than Bowie.
    I agree about Wino's but it's kind of an exception in their catalogue isn't it? They rarely played tracks from it live, only Kerosene as I recall. As I said I think they were great, I have pretty much all their albums
    Kerosene is sooo good. Tonight will be set aside to remember Deke in the appropriate way. Looks like there is still a few of us out there who know how good they were.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Gutted.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.