Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pre Sale Tickets - Is it a total and utter front

What's Hot

For third party sellers to get in early so they have plenty sell later on?

The last three gigs I've tried to get tickets for have followed the same pattern

1. Sign up for presale

2. Sit at computer ready for presale

3 Ticketmaster site crashes immediately that the presale goes live and then uncrashes when the presale tickets are all sold.

4.Tickets then turn up elsewhere like get me in, StereoBoard and Viagogo at hugely inflated prices

Really really really fucking angry about this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    Yep, that's about it.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For third party sellers to get in early so they have plenty sell later on?

The last three gigs I've tried to get tickets for have followed the same pattern

1. Sign up for presale

2. Sit at computer ready for presale

3 Ticketmaster site crashes immediately that the presale goes live and then uncrashes when the presale tickets are all sold.

4.Tickets then turn up elsewhere like get me in, StereoBoard and Viagogo at hugely inflated prices

Really really really fucking angry about this

Within seconds of selling out!! It's magic! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Yep. Bought a Bruno Mars album so I could get access to special presale. Wanted to take the missus for her birthday. Logged on to the site in plenty of time, bang on 9am there's somehow not a single ticket available! Must be some automatic software hoovering up tickets somehow.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited February 2017
    fwiw Get Me In is owned by Ticketmaster

The best way to fight this is simply not buy tickets for the big acts. If everyone stopped, then the system would have to change. Of course it won't happen so the problem will continue.  Along with the resulting problem that a 'sold out' gig hardly has any audience because all the tickets were on resale sites at twice the original price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsun said:
    fwiw Get Me In is owned by Ticketmaster
    Exactly!
  • Sadly until the public stop paying more than face value for tickets this will just keep happening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    mellowsun said:

The best way to fight this is simply not buy tickets for the big acts. If everyone stopped, then the system would have to change. Of course it won't happen so the problem will continue.  Along with the resulting problem that a 'sold out' gig hardly has any audience because all the tickets were on resale sites at twice the original price.
    This.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I flat out refuse to buy on reselling sites. I've missed gigs I really wanted to go to on principle that literally 1 minute after I failed to get any they were on resale sites at a markup.

I do feel there should be a resale ban window of multiple days, to stop the 5 minute flip occurrence.  I think people are hyped up when they fail to get tickets and think "oh well, it's only a few quid extra".  Make them wait a week and they'll be less excited to buy the tickets at a markup, I think anyway.  It would probably slowly manage the practice... I think an outright ban on re-selling for a profit would be very hard to make work.  There are cases when people genuinely can't go so need to re-sell, but they don't find that out the split second they book.
  • I have never bought a ticket from a re-seller and I won't be doing it.
    It should be illegal to do what Ticket Master do with Get me in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep an eye on Gumtree and ebay in the weeks before the gig and you'll probably get one at face value anyway. 
  • I have never bought a ticket from a re-seller and I won't be doing it.
    It should be illegal to do what Ticket Master do with Get me in.
    Surely it's a conflict of interest type scenario? I would imagine it makes them (Ticketmaster) more money to sell them at triple the face value! 

It's utter Bullshit! 
  • If I can't easily get tickets for a fair price I don't bother going to the gig.

I would rather go and support other gigs and music scenes than be ripped off by ticketmaster wankers.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited February 2017
    Recently had the same situation with Little Mix tickets for my daughter.
    A few of her friends managed to get presale tickets and wanted to go as a end of school thing in July.
    went online 9am, sold out.

The mrs couldnt bear to tell her she couldnt go, so we had to fork out £220 for 2 tickets!!

2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I can't easily get tickets for a fair price I don't bother going to the gig.

I would rather go and support other gigs and music scenes than be ripped off by ticketmaster wankers.
    I do that. I thought it was something of a one man stand, but I'm glad to hear others are doing it too.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Yep.

Heard something on the radio about boxing tickets and tickets for "Eddie Hearns promotions" continuously appearing for events he has promoted on a certain retail site.  Can't remember which one it was now, but definitely fishy!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Me too.

Missed out on Conor Oberst tickets that were face value £32 and now going for £90+ on certain sites. They can keep them as far as I am concerned. 

If I can't easily get tickets for a fair price I don't bother going to the gig.

I do that. I thought it was something of a one man stand, but I'm glad to hear others are doing it too.

• +1 for the only way to stop this is to not buy the tickets. Alas, it means missing out on gigs but I'm damned if I'm paying £200+ to see U2 when the DVD will be about twelve quid.

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    The one reason I stopped going to gigs, I detest these parasites who's only intention is to gouge the true fans. I'm not being ripped off by these bastards at any price, bunch o terwats the lot of em.
  • +1 for the only way to stop this is to not buy the tickets. Alas, it means missing out on gigs but I'm damned if I'm paying £200+ to see U2 when the DVD will be about twelve quid.
    This is another good point - you have to sit so far away from the band at some of these gigs you just end up watching it on the screen anyway.

I can recreate the experience at home by chucking 60 quid in the bin, squinting at the telly and throwing another fiver in the bin every time I drink warm a warm lager out of a plastic cup :-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom