Laptop recommendations

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited February 2017
    Not sure about warranty options, but these are well built for business use and this one has a Pci-e ssd - my pc has this and it boots very fast and apps installed on it are snappy. Even Lightroom, the shittiest optimised app ever, only occasionally stutters on 16gb ram - that's when I've not cleaned the cache and done some pretty heavy retouching. 

https://www.europc.co.uk/dell-precision-m5510-windows-10-pro-64-bit-intel-core-i5-6440hq-2-6ghz-16gb-ram-256gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-15-6-1920x1080-fhd-intel-pro-graphics-530-dell-3-year-warranty-119188.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CO-55K_r89ECFcG77QodxkcE7Q

Cheaper than a mbp. I'd still suggest, if you want power over portability, a small desktop and a Dell ultrasharp will give you ace performance for similar money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    d8m said:
    Danny1969 said:
    My pic of the above would be the Macbook Pro. A Dell Precision would be a good equal in terms of performance and quality but it would cost just as much but wouldn't hold it's value as well. 

What ever you get don't touch anything that doesn't have the option of a  3 year warranty. 
    local Istore offer a 3 year warranty free, extremely tempted to pop into town after work and pick one up.

Dongles will be a pain but the only things i would plug in would be usbs and ipod on occasion.
    Can always get a cheap usb sd card reader.

It seems the more I read about each option the more problems keep appearing.

Getting bored of shopping now so I think ill just bite the bullet and get it done.
    This is my bench right at this moment, here we have machines from HP, Dell, Packard Bell and Lenovo, all faulty (well were until I fixed them )  and all less than 4 years old .... modern I.T electronics is depressingly unreliable 

A good warranty on Apple is essential as the parts are much more expensive to replace than their PC counterparts 

Ringing a customer and telling them their 18 month old Acer \ HP \ Dell  laptop is B:E:R despite the fact they paid £400 for it is another depressing part of my job
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:

Ringing a customer and telling them their 18 month old Acer \ HP \ Dell  laptop is B:E:R despite the fact they paid £400 for it is another depressing part of my job
    I usually find that the most irritating part of fixing computers (although I just do it for family and friends these days). Very few seem to understand that a machine that cost £300 is unlikely to last forever, and when you chuck it down the stairs a couple of years later it's going to cost more than the thing's worth to fix it. Then, somehow, it's my fault that they have to buy a new laptop and therefore my responsibility to find them a good one..."I need it to be high spec so I can play CoD when I'm on the road, but I don't want to pay more than £250".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

Good video, I think they are saying the answer is yes?

Macbook is looking more and more likely now, I know you can get higher spec for the money but they are built so well and seem reliable.

wifes laptop is a mac thats 7 years old and still running fine, I also have an iPhone and iPad so might aswell complete the set.

only downer is I shelled out for a pc license of office 2016 like 2 months ago :)

Went to the Apple shop after work, still havent decided :open_mouth: 

Dell XPS on John lewis with 3 years might be the compromise option.

• You can overthink it of course. Just pick one and forget the others exist. Once you've got it home, the other options you were considering wont be on your mind at all.

You can overthink it of course. Just pick one and forget the others exist. Once you've got it home, the other options you were considering wont be on your mind at all.

Overthinking is my downfall, you should see me doing the weekly shop!

Just ordered an xps 13 from JL, comes with a 3 year guarantee and was nearly £500 cheaper than a MacBook Pro!

It's here!

just fired it up and am going to run all updates and install bloatware :)