Removing stupid led fret inlays

What's Hot
fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 563
edited February 2017 in Making & Modding
A few years ago I purchased an old late 80's Ibanez Rg550 type, heavily modded.

The guitar was initially bought as a beater.....but it's FAR better than that, and I use it a lot.

To get to the point, the previous owner ( silly fucker ) installed lights in the fret markers, literally they are drilled into the middle of each dot....  s

I need to remove all the dots - is there a preferred method ? The glass (?) surround of the light seems indestructible 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't be so boring
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not honest, these don't work and are raised slightly on the fretboard, they need to come out !
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16795
    How are they wired?  The installation can be quite intrusive, getting them out won't be much less

assuming you don't want to remove the fretboard the quickest and simplest fix will be a bit of paint
    Pics will be needed before any real suggestionsk
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    how unrocknroll

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Removing them certainly won't make it any light-er you know...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    Pics will be needed before any real suggestionsk
    Thanks Wez, I'm still struggling to post photos with my iPad but I take your point. ( I'd love to post some photos  :'(  )

The wiring for the lights seems to be routed through to the heel of the fretboard, there's a visible hole with the wires poking through. I ripped all the remaining wire/battery box out so its just the lights left.

The neck is superb, the guitar is a monster, one of the best playing Ibbys I've come across and I've had a few... don't want to fook it up any further... 

I'll try to post a photo in due course....Cheers

• Try the imgur app for posting pics
    does it look like its been done this way?
    http://diyguitarman.blogspot.co.uk/2012_01_01_archive.html
  • WezV said:
    does it look like its been done this way?
    http://diyguitarman.blogspot.co.uk/2012_01_01_archive.html
    Yes Wez, the bulbs, wiring, everything.

Im not technical, but when I acquired it the first thing I thought was that the rosewood fretboard must have been removed at some point to install them, but that side of things has been done flawlessly - it's perfect....but the LEDs are another matter, one or two not centred etc...and stand proud of the board.

I should also say the silly flipper also lit the dots on the edge too, so a lot of work has gone in...and a lot of routing and wiring.

But it is a neck worth saving ! 

In that case I refer to my original suggestion of painting over, or adding stickers.

you could try drilling out the centres before smashing the remains and pulling the out, leaving the wiring where it is.... but i can't think of a safe easy way to get these out cleanly without a fretboard replacement