Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dune. The Movie

What's Hot
Looks like they may well be making this one (again)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/02/dune_to_be_turned_into_new_movie/

I know the George Lynch one was slated, but it is actually one of my favorite movies.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28267
    There was a SciFi Channel (IIRC) mini-series as well that was pretty good - I gather that was truer to the books. I did like the Lynch one once I'd seen it enough times to have some idea of what was going on.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Looks like they may well be making this one (again)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/02/dune_to_be_turned_into_new_movie/

I know the George Lynch one was slated, but it is actually one of my favorite movies.

George makes films?  Like his brother David?
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Actually, I loved Dune.  Read all the books, and I liked the film a lot.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a great documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempt to get his film adaptation of Dune off the ground in the mid-70s.  The whole thing was meticulously storyboarded, to the point where Jodorowsky could essentially sit and talk you through the entire movie without an inch of footage being shot.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited February 2017
    There's a great documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempt to get his film adaptation of Dune off the ground in the mid-70s.  The whole thing was meticulously storyboarded, to the point where Jodorowsky could essentially sit and talk you through the entire movie without an inch of footage being shot.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BDL3kP3Raws/U6RVBeSoA5I/AAAAAAAAFmo/Q-FBajRq924/s1600/dune2.jpg

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jodorowskys_dune/

Inspirational documentary, shows how the production of Dune laid the groundwork for Alien and much of the sci-fi that followed over the next decade.  In a way his Dune was made - it was just made as several different films.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    I love the Lynch version a although I've yet to watch it this year. That will change I'm sure. I also enjoy the science for channel budget version too. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    The lynch one is great, although you can clearly tell when he exited the project. The film rapidly accelerates towards the ending halfway through.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Is the lynch one the one with Sting?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • yep. Thankfully it was a bit part.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    yep. Thankfully it was a bit part.
    We should have at least got an epic 80s power ballad Tina Turner did the honours in Thunderdome.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • But Toto did the sound track.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24285
    The Bluray of the Lynch film has the worst audio mix I've ever heard. Can barely make out the speech.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    David Lynch's Dune still looks amazing. Love the sets. Overall the released film is a bit of a mess, although there was a rumoured 3 hour director's cut, long lost.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22877
    There's a great documentary about Alejandro Jodorowsky's attempt to get his film adaptation of Dune off the ground in the mid-70s.  The whole thing was meticulously storyboarded, to the point where Jodorowsky could essentially sit and talk you through the entire movie without an inch of footage being shot.
    I wish he'd actually got to make it.  I'm not saying it would've been great - it might well have ended up as an utter shambles - but I love Jodorowsky's films.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5498
    Never got on with Lynch's Dune. It was on again last year and I gave it another go by oh my word it's ropey. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I love Lynch's Dune. Am a huge fan of the books and while I think it is a flawed film in some ways, it absolutely captures the spirit and the atmosphere of the books. The later mini-series was poor by comparison - couldn't even finish it. Never heard of the Jodorowsky attempt. Thanks @DarnWeight  - will look that up. 

Will definitely give any new film a go. It's a great story and deserves a definitive film version. And if they think Dune is unfilmable, I'd love them to try some of the later books...

• I absolutely love the first Dune book (one of my all time favourite reads) but think the rest are pretty turgid to be honest. 

The Lynch film is ok but I think unless you know the book you're going to be struggling with it. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22877
    edited February 2017
    It must be 35 years since I read the books, but I remember loving the first one then getting increasingly disenchanted until by God Emperor of Dune I was thoroughly pissed off with them.  I don't think I ever read the last two.

Maybe I was too young to appreciate them, perhaps I should give them another go some time.  I still have my old copies of the first four books.
  • I preferred the book but I may revisit the film soon.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Philly_Q said:
    It must be 35 years since I read the books, but I remember loving the first one then getting increasingly disenchanted until by God Emperor of Dune I was thoroughly pissed off with them.  I don't think I ever read the last two.

Same with me but I managed a few pages of book six before cutting my sizeable losses.