iMac help please!

What's Hot
Dan86Dan86 Frets: 116
Hi folks, can anyone help with an iMac problem please? 

Mid 2010 27" , keeps randomly going to a black screen. If you click the power button a couple of times it comes back on.
If the brightness on the screen is turned down to 1 or 2 bars, it runs without a problem whatsoever. Then with brightness back on it will go to black screen again within the hour.

When the screen is black, a torch shone into the display shows the system is all still running, image is there. Videos etc keep playing.

Resets have all been done. Then fresh sierra install, then backlight inverter changed, ran for 3 hours then when black again.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
My art/photography : http://danuk86.deviantart.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stevebsteveb Frets: 42
    http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2017/1/27/a-sad-story-with-a-happy-ending

Take a look at this, apparently thre was a graphics card problem on the macbook pros of that time. Maybe it affected the imac too. Looks like apple might repair free of charge!!! 
  • Dan86Dan86 Frets: 116
    Already had a chap from Apple check that. Cheers anyway though!
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    A bit of a long shot, but it's not the "Display Sleep" kicking in is it?

Try looking in System Preferences -> Energy Saver and see what the "Display Sleep" time is set to.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    Sounds like something heat-related in the backlight supply if running it at low brightness stops it happening. If the inverter has been changed it just must be somewhere else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • USB or Bluetooth keyboard?
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited February 2017
    Try disconnecting the keyboard and leave it running. If the screen doesn't go black obviously a problem with the keyboard communicating with the mac. 
     these sort of issues are a process of elimination 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Tried USB razer keyboard and USB Apple keyboard , same problem with both. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    It has to be just something to do with the backlight or its power supply if the computer is still running normally otherwise and it's related to the backlight brightness. It could be as simple as a cracked solder joint somewhere - the problem will be finding it. A lot of my repair work on amps is exactly this sort of thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412

My gut feeling is the LCD panel ... or rather the backlight in the LCD panel .... more specifically the connection to the panel which is a surface mount connector who's joints go bad and sometimes come away completely

Peel back the tape and look at the connection on the bottom left of the panel ...... don't work on this machine plugged in as the SMPS is un- insulated at mains potential just behind the LCD panel 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Thanks for the info guys. Trying LCD temp sensor when it arrives . If it's not that I'll try another LCD unit
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    edited February 2017
    TonyR said:

Try looking in System Preferences -> Energy Saver and see what the "Display Sleep" time is set to.
    Seriously, I had this with mine. Reset the settings, and get rid or have the lowest energy saver options.
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Have you cleaned out the fans and vent ports with a little brush/hoover on the base unit?  The screen takes its power from the on board system, so the brighter the screen, the more power through the board = more heat.  
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10412
    TonyR said:

Seriously, I had this with mine. Reset the settings, and get rid or have the lowest energy saver options.
    I think he said he can see the video, so I don't think it's a sleep issue as sleep turns off the video and BL
    www.2020studios.co.uk