Anyone ever tried the Titebond Hide glue?

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2613

Never tried it myself but im thinking about it..  Anyone ever tried this stuff?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002YXE7K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A016145615CW82C0AFOVU

I did a course in antique furniture restoration and we used proper hide glue.. Man what a stink.. Its always put me off using it, having to heat it up...  But id be willing to give this stuff a go.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    Not used the hide glue, but have built a couple of guitars using titebond original woodglue. Excellent stuff
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16795
    edited February 2017
    Don't bother.   None of the benefits of actual hide glue.  Stick with titebond original or the real stuff

it makes me wonder how many people claiming they use hide glue are just using this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Agree with WezV.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28745
    If you want to try something ultra-brittle (which I think is meant to be one of the favourable qualities of hide glue for instrument making - very little dampening) then Cascamite might be worth investigating.

That said an awful lot of excellent guitars are made with Titebond red, and it's cheap and easy to work with.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I actually like the smell.  My grandad repaired pianos and always had a pot on the go
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    I'm using hide glue, definitely for neck and fretboard the rest of it doesn't matter to me

It's mostly for ease of taking it apart which I have done before because I didn't like something
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited February 2017
    I'm using hide glue, definitely for neck and fretboard the rest of it doesn't matter to me

It's mostly for ease of taking it apart which I have done before because I didn't like something
    are you using this prepared liquid hide glue, or the traditional hot hide glue?

edit -not a criticism either way, but its important to clarify these points  as the ways of working and results are different.  They should be considered as two different glues.

Shelf life is important with titebond red and liquid hide glue - you need to check the codes on the bottle to make sure you are using fresh glue.  Worth considering this with any off the shelf glue

Liquid hide glue is weaker than hot hide glue, but still strong enough for most applications.   It does not dry as hard and brittle as hot glue - but you get a much longer working time instead

It disassembles easier than titebond red, but not as easy as hot hide glue

It doesn't tack together like hot hide glue does, where it actually draws the pieces together - you can't just do a rub join like you can with hotglue

I don't think its a terrible glue, but its certainly no better than titebond original, which can also be disassembled relatively easily and gives extra strength

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader

Fair enough.. Message received....   I will stick to the original then  :)

Thanks for the replies....