Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone use a 2 amp rig ? Wet/dry or otherwise

What's Hot

Comments

• Jtaylor said:
    Its definitely worth trying, if you dont like it you could always go back to one amp, but for me anyway i wouldn't ever want to have to run mono if i didn't really have to, as stereo is so so much better. I have a friend who used to run wet dry wet amps @hotpickups, he used a 1969 jmp50 marshall, an ac30 and a super reverb, he had the marshall in the middle and the ac30 and super reverb either side with time based effects in stereo between the two either side, apparently it worked really well for in the context of a trio, but in a bigger band would take up too much room in the mix. So i guess it depends on the size of the band you play in, I tend to play in a bigger band, so two electrics, bass / sometimes bass synth, drums, keys, tracks, acoustic guitar, vocals x2/3 sometimes 4 so having my amps in stereo will sound big but without taking up too much room in the mix like a wet dry wet set up would. Hope that helps :)
    3 amps? Sounds a great idea but yeah a little impractical for me mainly cos I don't have a third amp LOL. I could probably set the stereo setup quite easily myself (and that's saying something). Where as setting up a wet/dry set up where I can choose to go out with a single amp or 2 amps without having to change the wiring, I would need some help get my head around that
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 182
    yeh, its definitely impractical running 3 amps, if you've already got two amps, you should definitely try running them in stereo though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Back to wet/dry question. I checked the Pedal Show video on this (see below). At the beginning Dan says both amps get the dirt etc and then only one amp with most headroom gets the wetness etc. But later he just says one amp is getting all the wetness and the other gets the dirt. Confusing ?

The normal way to run a wet and dry amp rig is to run any gain pedals to both amps and any time based effects to just one amp, just like dan said the first time, i think he must of just said the wrong thing the second time he explained it. The down side to running two amps this way vs in stereo, is that if you ever have to go from running two amps to one amp, then all your time based effects will need to be adjusted as they'll sound drastically different and over the top if you use them set the same compared to a wet dry rig, whereas if you have a pedal last in your chain that sums to mono when using a stereo rig, then everything set the same sounds the same. Might not be a big thing for some people, but i have 5/6 different delay presets and 8/9 different reverb presets, so having to change these depending on whether i happen to be playing one or two amps would be time consuming. Also, running stereo delay and reverb sounds immense, so if you play stuff where you use delay and reverb a lot then it definitely makes a difference over running wet dry amps or just one amp. Hope that helps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited February 2017
    Not at the minute but I've toyed with the idea of having a stereo setup. Not w/d though as I don't use many fx but I play in a 1 guitar band so I thought stereo would help fill out the sound better and give more impact for certain parts (ie switch down to one amp for verses and both for choruses etc). The Yamaha THR100HD looks like it would accommodate this quite nicely without lugging around 2 amps :)

In reality though would this really make much of a difference sound wise over 1 good amp?
  • Jtaylor said:
    The normal way to run a wet and dry amp rig is to run any gain pedals to both amps and any time based effects to just one amp, just like dan said the first time, i think he must of just said the wrong thing the second time he explained it. The down side to running two amps this way vs in stereo, is that if you ever have to go from running two amps to one amp, then all your time based effects will need to be adjusted as they'll sound drastically different and over the top if you use them set the same compared to a wet dry rig, whereas if you have a pedal last in your chain that sums to mono when using a stereo rig, then everything set the same sounds the same. Might not be a big thing for some people, but i have 5/6 different delay presets and 8/9 different reverb presets, so having to change these depending on whether i happen to be playing one or two amps would be time consuming. Also, running stereo delay and reverb sounds immense, so if you play stuff where you use delay and reverb a lot then it definitely makes a difference over running wet dry amps or just one amp. Hope that helps
    Thanks for that. Well I did think it might have been a mistake what dan said but if you hear on the video when he later turns each amp on one is definitely void of dirt and just modulation and the other had the dirt etc. Very confusing :(
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16112
    Having 2 amps set up as stereo with a distance of at least 3m between them makes a huge sound difference especially when using any modulation ,time based effect.........100% noticeable difference....really,do it if you can
  • Jtaylor said:
    What do you use as a mono pedal in your signal chain then @Jtaylor ? I think in view of what you say I think the stereo rig might be better for me too as I don't always plan to go out with 2 amps
    i use the junction box i mentioned previously as the last pedal in my chain to sum to mono @hotpickups, ;as strymon pedals if plugged in to run stereo wont sum to mono, some pedals do sum to mono though, neunaber for example do 
  • Jtaylor said:
    i use the junction box i mentioned previously as the last pedal in my chain to sum to mono @hotpickups, ;as strymon pedals if plugged in to run stereo wont sum to mono, some pedals do sum to mono though, neunaber for example do 
    I have Strymon so I'll have to get one of those bright onion things 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I wet (dry wet) myself today :)

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited March 2017
    Gadget said:
    I wet (dry wet) myself today

Holy Mother of God

What are you using for a splitter @Gadget ;
    @hotpickups ;

Signal chain is....

Guitar ---> pre-amp pedals (Cornish NBM-2 buffer & TC Polytune Mini Noir, Digitech Whammy, Teese RMC3LE Wah, Cornish OC-1 compressor, Cornish P-1 distortion, Cornish P-2 distortion. Friedman BE-OD distortion, Ibanez SD-9 distortion, Analogman KOT, Cornish SS-2, Analogman Beano Boost, Boss PQ-4 Parametric EQ) ---> Friedman Smallbox Combo input.

Friedman Smallbox Combo line-out ---> time-based FX (mono into Analogman BiChorus, mono into Foxrox TZF Flanger, stereo out to Neuanaber Slate, stereo out to Strymon Mobius, stereo out to Strymon Timeline, stereo out to Strymon Big Sky) ---> left out to left amp (cornford MK50H) FX return / right out to right amp (Cornford MK50H II) FX return.
    Gadget said:
    @hotpickups ;

Signal chain is....

Guitar ---> pre-amp pedals (Cornish NBM-2 buffer & TC Polytune Mini Noir, Digitech Whammy, Teese RMC3LE Wah, Cornish OC-1 compressor, Cornish P-1 distortion, Cornish P-2 distortion. Friedman BE-OD distortion, Ibanez SD-9 distortion, Analogman KOT, Cornish SS-2, Analogman Beano Boost, Boss PQ-4 Parametric EQ) ---> Friedman Smallbox Combo input.

Friedman Smallbox Combo line-out ---> time-based FX (mono into Analogman BiChorus, mono into Foxrox TZF Flanger, stereo out to Neuanaber Slate, stereo out to Strymon Mobius, stereo out to Strymon Timeline, stereo out to Strymon Big Sky) ---> left out to left amp (cornford MK50H) FX return / right out to right amp (Cornford MK50H II) FX return.
    Blimey my head hurts ;)
    @hotpickups

Pretty simple really :)

I haven't got around to MIDI yet, though there is also the amp footswitching, Roland EV-5 expression pedal and Boss FV500L volume pedals I forgot to mention.

Power is from from Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2, 2 Plus, AC and Digital.

The board is a Custom Pedal Boards.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Gadget said:
    @hotpickups ;

Signal chain is....

Honest question here, why use the individual Chorus and Flangers when you have the Möbius?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    professorben said:Honest question here, why use the individual Chorus and Flangers when you have the Möbius?
    Different flavours and combinations mainly. For all its versatility, the Mobius only does one type of sound at a time, so if you want a chorus + rotary, or auto-wah + flanger, you're going to need extra pedals.
    Gadget said:
    professorben said:Honest question here, why use the individual Chorus and Flangers when you have the Möbius?
    Different flavours and combinations mainly. For all its versatility, the Mobius only does one type of sound at a time, so if you want a chorus + rotary, or auto-wah + flanger, you're going to need extra pedals.
    Yeah that is the only gripe I have with the möbius. Mind you it's not that often I want too many modulations at once to be honest. 
    Gadget said:
    Yeah that is the only gripe I have with the möbius. Mind you it's not that often I want too many modulations at once to be honest. 
    Oh yeah, it's usually for total overkill, but then, why not? :)

The TZF and Analogman chorus have their own particular sound, so sometimes it's just about 'different' rather than 'more'.
    Gadget said:
    Gadget said:
    Oh yeah, it's usually for total overkill, but then, why not? :)

The TZF and Analogman chorus have their own particular sound, so sometimes it's just about 'different' rather than 'more'.
    Actually I would love to hear that rig in action one day :)