Car advice needed

What's Hot
Im saving for a new car, budget is about 1k, ( might not seem a lot but thats a good few months saving for me)  

It needs to be cheap to run and insure, not totally gutless but most importantly need it to be comfy, economic and big enough for 3 kids in the back. 

I deliver takeaways so was thinking going dirty diesel as even in a 1.2 punto i can do a quarter of a tank in a might as i average 80-100 miles a shift. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2017
    ...you deliver takeaway 'kids'?? Is this not illegal?

A Peedo 106 then...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

If you look around you'll find something. If there's a few used car dealers near you speak directly to them.

For £1K you'd not get much that's not high mileage or has a issue or two.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    I wouldn't be focusing on one particular model rather keeping an eye out for something that's been well cared for (great service history and straight).

Colour would also be unimportant. In fact the less appeal it had to other people, the more likely you're going to end up with a bargain.

I'd ask your local dealers to keep an eye out for you for old incoming part ex's and if you're knowledgeable enough, hit the auctions.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    How about a Mk1 Toyota avensis? Should be fairly problem free - you still see some being used by taxi companies. 

Get the petrol though - easier to maintain and you don't have to worry about forking out £500 for a refurbished turbo
  • Get down your local auctions - you know enough about cars to know what you're looking for, and from what I've seen in my local auction lately, you can pick up something approaching an. 07/08 plater  for the money you're looking to spend.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    I find that when it comes to second hand cars some people would happily sell their own grandmother a death trap. I've seen mechanics get burned. Once you have identified the model/type then try local dealers for one with stupid low mileage sold as almost new.

We picked up a car that had 400 miles on the clock so we saved the VAT. We also benefited from the almost 3 years no MOT + service/parts free for the first 10,000 miles (or whatever) or 3 years whichever comes first. If you can find a lowish interest loan then over the years it may pay for itself: For example I swear they make most cars to start falling apart after a certain number if years, the plastic knobs fall off or break, rubber degrades, . . . .

Just my opinion but I do find that a reliable newish car is real piece of mind.

I have found superb cars as second hand and been fairly lucky but I have had the odd lemon where catalytic convertor goes or some other parts where you think I should have prayed harder!!

Good luck
  • Same answer as always from me, Skoda Octavia. You should be able to get something about 10 years old in reasonable nick for about £1k.
    We've got a 2008 model, estate with a decent spec, and 2.0 TDi engine which we're hoping to sell for about £2k. It's due an MOT but will probably cruise through and it's still a really smart car.
    To be honest, you'll also be able to find a Ford Focus, maybe a Mondeo, for a similar price, age and spec.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    if you live in a big city don't buy a diesel. Many cities will be introducing ULEZ's pretty soon (2-3 years) and an old diesel will effectively be barred. Get a petrol EU4 or higher and such up the cost of fuel, at least the car will be worth something, a diesel will plummet in value when they do it.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    hywelg said:
    if you live in a big city don't buy a diesel. Many cities will be introducing ULEZ's pretty soon (2-3 years) and an old diesel will effectively be barred. Get a petrol EU4 or higher and such up the cost of fuel, at least the car will be worth something, a diesel will plummet in value when they do it.
    I find this legislation terrible, lets assume all major cities in the UK will adopt it - I enjoy going to York for a day out, have coffee, take photos, visit museums, etc. It's fun.

It currently costs a fortune to park in York, but I can go once a month if the weather is nice. Being essentially banned from driving to York means I won't be going there in future - i'll go somewhere else I'm allowed to go. Trade in York will suffer as I won't be the only person saying 'sod this' to an effective ban. 

Options could be to spend a fortune driving to town, park up, get the train to York or doing the park and ride - I dislike both options as I prefer to unload any shopping/camera equipment at some point in the day so I can go for food. 

The other option is sell my vehicles and pay tens of thousands on a new vehicle just so i'm allowed in the city - not going to happen.

It'll also see taxi fares increasing to cover the cost of vehicles that meet silly regulations or for paying the fine each day.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    57Deluxe said:
    ...you deliver takeaway 'kids'?? Is this not illegal?

A Peedo 106 then...
    A genuine lol there. Maybe i could have worded that better but was pissed off at wprk on my day off.