Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Aynsley Lister

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DamianPDamianP Frets: 501
    DamianP said:
    I'm a fan of the man and his music.    He's as dedicated as he is talented.   
    I've been fortunate to work with him on a couple of guitars.  It's always a joy to hear them put to such great use.
    So what are his favoured guitars these days, what size strings etc ?
    He changes it up a bit depending on the gig but recently with the band. I think it's the Probett LP and white Strat plus the "no name" archtop with the P90 for the slide tunes.   I think he uses the 335 for the solo gigs.    That 335 is great sounding guitar.  I kind of miss hearing it with the band. 
    I can't recall his string gauges off the top of my head but I think they are 11-54 down half a step.

I'm so pleased that he likes my stuff. He's entirely free to play whatever he likes.  He certainly couldn't be persuaded to play something he didn't. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3846
    edited February 2017
    scrumhalf said:

The fact that he's not a household name says more about the state of music in this country and its X-Factorisation than almost anything else.
    Lol. This is such a cliched thing to say. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9781
    Thanks to this thread I'm playing his latest album on Spotify. Very nice indeed.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DamianP said:
    DamianP said:
    I'm a fan of the man and his music.    He's as dedicated as he is talented.   
    I've been fortunate to work with him on a couple of guitars.  It's always a joy to hear them put to such great use.
    So what are his favoured guitars these days, what size strings etc ?
    He changes it up a bit depending on the gig but recently with the band. I think it's the Probett LP and white Strat plus the "no name" archtop with the P90 for the slide tunes.   I think he uses the 335 for the solo gigs.    That 335 is great sounding guitar.  I kind of miss hearing it with the band. 
    I can't recall his string gauges off the top of my head but I think they are 11-54 down half a step.

I'm so pleased that he likes my stuff. He's entirely free to play whatever he likes.  He certainly couldn't be persuaded to play something he didn't. 

Last week he played his two Probetts exclusively.

He had another guitar onstage (a Charles Strat) but all he did was tune it pre-gig. It just sat there for the whole show, looking particularly unloved.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12463
    Saw him years ago, he's certainly a very good player but his vocals have always been a bit lightweight. He was playing just the 335 and a red Strat back then. I asked him about the 335 after the gig and he reckoned it was a fake,  :)
  • I've seen him live a couple of times and thought he was outstanding. However, his albums do nothing for me. I just find the material a little bland. It's a bit like Philip Sayce. Fantastic player but whenever I put on one of his albums at home it lasts about three songs before I look for something else.
  • rashrash Frets: 38
    I saw him on Saturday in Winchester, it was a solo gig, so he did a range of covers and a few originals. 335 into a rift amp. Sounded great.
  • boogieman said:
    Saw him years ago, he's certainly a very good player but his vocals have always been a bit lightweight. He was playing just the 335 and a red Strat back then. I asked him about the 335 after the gig and he reckoned it was a fake,  :)

I've seen him live a couple of times and thought he was outstanding. However, his albums do nothing for me. I just find the material a little bland. It's a bit like Philip Sayce. Fantastic player but whenever I put on one of his albums at home it lasts about three songs before I look for something else.
    I remember him doing something for Guitarist years ago and talking about his fake 335, quite cheap but he loves it kind of thing.

I put some Aynsley on streaming off the back of this Discussion and whilst it is fine it is just a bunch of bog standard well played blues. Kind of stuff I'd really enjoy live but it didn't set me racing to buy up his back catalogue. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    I've seen him live a couple of times and thought he was outstanding. However, his albums do nothing for me. I just find the material a little bland. It's a bit like Philip Sayce. Fantastic player but whenever I put on one of his albums at home it lasts about three songs before I look for something else.
    I do find that generally with the blues, it's much better live.

Have you heard his latest? apparently he went for more of a one guitar live vibe (although it is a studio recording). I really like it a lot.