Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Greatest Female Vocalist ever?

What's Hot

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2810
    I'm partial to a bit of Rumer occasionally and I've just finished Carly Simon's book - she's not a bad singer...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaraRara Frets: 5
    So many amazing voices, so little time. Quick pick:

Peggy Lee
  • Not one mention for Barbara Steisand. I know her music's not for everyone, but even so, her voice is right up there. Same thing for Celine Dion.

I'm glad someone mentioned Ann Wilson though; her sister's not bad too.
  • I wouldn't call her the greatest but whilst we are celebrating female vocalists I'm going to mention Pink. Saw her live a couple of times, she's a powerhouse.
    I was watching a couple of the clips of her doing Babe I'm Gonna Leave You which were great, the guitarist in her band is seriously impressive - he's also one of the guitarists for American Idol IIRC. 

I dont think anyone has mentioned Amy Winehouse yet? You have to separate out her singing and writing from the image and paparazzi crap to find she was rather wonderful, on form anyway. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Apologies if anyone has said it yet but

Yoko. 

End of thread. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5027
    In terms of rock and metal singers I'd have to add Farida Lamouchi from The Devil's Blood. 

And Jex from Jex Thoth. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14462
    tFB Trader
    Glad there is no, or barely any mention of Adele - I just don't get it at all why she is rated by so many - Same for Emeli Sande and Paloma Faith
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72720
    Apologies if anyone has said it yet but

Yoko. 

End of thread. 
    If you're not joking... :)

She's actually very interesting and a much better singer than you would expect if you've only heard (or heard of) her notorious noise-art shrieking from forty years ago, or the stock jokes.

You could do much worse than start with 'Yes I'm A Witch Too' which is her most recent and is an album of reworkings of a lot of her older material with more modern musicians.

She was also 82 when she made it... remarkable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14462
    tFB Trader

I dont think anyone has mentioned Amy Winehouse yet? You have to separate out her singing and writing from the image and paparazzi crap to find she was rather wonderful, on form anyway. 

agree with you about Amy as a singer - as a person I could never be a fan - saw an interview with Jools Holland and Paul Weller from Jools show and them talking about a rehearsal with those 2 on piano and Amy on vocals - They just looked at each and smiled as they played and she sang - they knew it was special - yet when later when they recorded/sang live for the cameras, a few hours later, then god knows what she had been on, or doing, but apparently it was poor - My dad is big into Billie Holliday and effectively states similar stories - ditto Charlie Parker
  • Amy Winehouse gets a vote from me :)

Although probably not the greatest, Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy gets a nod from me for belching out Cookie Monster vocals ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

Glad there is no, or barely any mention of Adele - I just don't get it at all why she is rated by so many - Same for Emeli Sande and Paloma Faith
    I'm afraid I don't get why Eva Cassidy, Imelda May or Amy Winehouse are so rated either, but each to their own...

I don't mind Adele or Emeli Sandé (who ironically is also actually called Adele really), but I certainly wouldn't put them as favourites.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23221

Although probably not the greatest, Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy gets a nod from me for belching out Cookie Monster vocals ;)
    I wondered if someone would mention her.  She's retired from the band now I think, but she's still their manager.
  • Philly_Q said:

I wondered if someone would mention her.  She's retired from the band now I think, but she's still their manager.
    Alissa White-Gluz has taken over on vocals :)

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I've always liked Lisa Kekaula from the Bellrays, she can really belt out dat rock ' n ' soul..

Philly_Q said:

Alissa White-Gluz has taken over on vocals :)
    Angela is not a good example to be honest.  

There are far better women doing that sort of thing. I've heard some stories...
    rawk100 said:
    I've always liked Lisa Kekaula from the Bellrays, she can really belt out dat rock ' n ' soul..

Good shout.
  • That was pretty much my point @Reverend Angela is more of a personal favourite rather than the greatest ;)

• ICBM said:
    Apologies if anyone has said it yet but

Yoko. 

End of thread. 
    If you're not joking... :)

She's actually very interesting and a much better singer than you would expect if you've only heard (or heard of) her notorious noise-art shrieking from forty years ago, or the stock jokes.

You could do much worse than start with 'Yes I'm A Witch Too' which is her most recent and is an album of reworkings of a lot of her older material with more modern musicians.

She was also 82 when she made it... remarkable.
    Not joking, I'd take Yoko over Whinehorse any day. 

Also the thread states 'vocalist' not singer, which allows some leeway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Only Female vocalist that give me goosebumps. 

Tori Amos 
    Grace Slick
    Lizzy Hale. 
    professorben said:

Not joking, I'd take Yoko over Whinehorse any day. 

Also the thread states 'vocalist' not singer, which allows some leeway. 
    Excellent, I thought I was probably the only nutter here who actually likes Yoko :).