Backdrops...wtf?

What's Hot
Back in myyyyy day, backdrops consisted of a massive black sheet with a logo on it.

I know tech has advanced, which is great... but wtf is this?  Anyone think it was better left as is?

GNR - Don't Cry, with flying bird video

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I really dislike the big video screens when they play all sorts of video clips etc. 
    I don't mind them in a big venue if they are just repeating the action that is happening onstage, but I find it distracting and pulls away from the band performance rather than enhancing it in many cases. I don't pay £80 for a big gig to watch a bit of random video.
    A few bands who have done it well it has worked ok - such as Queensryche when they do the Operation Mindcrime bits

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    In 2012 I went to a Professor Brian Cox show at the apollo. 
    Called the end of the world show. Absolutely mind blowing but anyway. 

He had various acts over the course of the night, and one of them was 65daysofstatic. An instrumental band. They came out, played a song about 8 minutes long with the big screen behind them showing footage from every Nasa Sts flight, including the disasters all in chronological order. 

The song they played was basically their soundtrack to this video, picking up for exciting takeoffs, and becoming quite chilling when the accidents happened. 

Tis a memory I'll never forget, it was absolutely amazing. 

But guess thats a bit different as they fully intended the whole audio visual experience to make your hairs stand on end. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    This is a proper backdrop, I don't get it either, it's unmanly.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24319
    Lets face it, GNR needed something entertaining on stage as the music was dire.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Emp_Fab said:
    Lets face it, GNR needed something entertaining on stage as the music was dire.
    It looked like a scene from Harry Potter where the Owl is off to fetch some mail

And whoever cgi'd those clouds needs the sack
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    skunkwerx said:
    In 2012 I went to a Professor Brian Cox show at the apollo. 
    Called the end of the world show. Absolutely mind blowing but anyway. 

He had various acts over the course of the night, and one of them was 65daysofstatic. An instrumental band. They came out, played a song about 8 minutes long with the big screen behind them showing footage from every Nasa Sts flight, including the disasters all in chronological order. 

The song they played was basically their soundtrack to this video, picking up for exciting takeoffs, and becoming quite chilling when the accidents happened. 

Tis a memory I'll never forget, it was absolutely amazing. 

But guess thats a bit different as they fully intended the whole audio visual experience to make your hairs stand on end. 
    Yeah, the more 'artfully inclined' post-rock/sludge bands often include a visual artist as part of their lineup. Neurosis had one (they may still do?) as part of their lineup and the backdrop visuals are an integral part of their whole show. Same with Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Some incredible live footage out there on YouTube.

I guess though yeah for a meat-and-potatoes rock band it is a tad excessive.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited February 2017
    They should've saved the money and spent it on singing lessons for the chubby bloke with the mic