Netflix - Santa Clarita Diet - funny

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7526
Binged it - appealed to my sense of humour. Fantastic comic acting from Drew Barrymore and Timothy Oliphant. 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    This is on my 'list' to watch. So as soon as ive finished all the other Netflix series I currently have on the go, I will be watching it :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Started watching it last night.

Some of the acting does veer into the typical OTT American hand waving nonsense and hollering (ala Friends), but that's a minor criticism when it's outweighed by the sheer absurdity of it all. Normally I'd hate stuff like this but I'm a sucker for gorefests and some of the comedy timing did make me laugh. The episodes aren't too long either so they never outstay their welcome. Got to Episode 4 before I realised I needed some sleep. Will watch the rest this week.
  • You know, it's funny, my girlfriend did a history degree and graduated in 2012. Her final dissertation was on female representation in horror - sounds media-ish but vampire history was one of the things she studied.

Anyway, she looked at how vampires were becoming sexualised from the evil, ugly creatures they were originally portrayed as and made a prediction in her conclusion that the next thing to happen would be the sexualisation of zombies, as they're usually depicted as grotesque and it would be one of the more extreme things to change from being ugly and evil to being beautiful and desirable and quirky. Then iZombie happened, then Santa Clarita Diet. 

I've not seen it - iZombie put me off, it was rubbish. But maybe I'll give it a shot. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, it's pretty trashy but short enough to get away with it. A bit like (Don't Trust) The Bitch at Apartment 23. Usually I hate that type of thing, but when you've got half an hour spare to sit with a cuppa, it's OK. Then you realise you've watched 4 episodes back to back!!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7526
    You know, it's funny, my girlfriend did a history degree and graduated in 2012. Her final dissertation was on female representation in horror - sounds media-ish but vampire history was one of the things she studied.

Anyway, she looked at how vampires were becoming sexualised from the evil, ugly creatures they were originally portrayed as and made a prediction in her conclusion that the next thing to happen would be the sexualisation of zombies, as they're usually depicted as grotesque and it would be one of the more extreme things to change from being ugly and evil to being beautiful and desirable and quirky. Then iZombie happened, then Santa Clarita Diet. 

I've not seen it - iZombie put me off, it was rubbish. But maybe I'll give it a shot. 
    SCD has awesome dialogue - great comedy timing - the banter reminded me a bit of Moonlighting (I said 'a bit' before you get too excited) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 992
    TimmyO said:
    Binged it - appealed to my sense of humour. Fantastic comic acting from Drew Barrymore and Timothy Oliphant. 
    I'm there!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    You know, it's funny, my girlfriend did a history degree and graduated in 2012. Her final dissertation was on female representation in horror - sounds media-ish but vampire history was one of the things she studied.

SCD has awesome dialogue - great comedy timing - the banter reminded me a bit of Moonlighting (I said 'a bit' before you get too excited) 

When I'm done with a series of unfortunate events I'll give it a go with the ladyprettydamned. 

I tried convincing her we should watch the expanse... After one episode it was a no go :(
  • duotone said:
    TimmyO said:
    I'm there!

So am I.... I have so much love for Drew Barrymore.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2892
    What is with all this zombie shyte ?

Didnt have to watch izombie to know that would be hot steamy poo. 
    Really liked iZombie :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
    Watched the first 2 episodes earlier. All good fun, will watch the rest tomorrow :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    Nikko said:
    Same here

total cheesefest, crap as an adaptation etc.... but really watchablep
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    WezV said:
    Nikko said:
    Same here

total cheesefest, crap as an adaptation etc.... but really watchablep
    me too.
  • Watched it. Good fun. Needs more zombies
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I love iZombie, it really gets better as it goes on.

I thought The Santa Clarita Diet was a bit disappointing, I found the daughter pretty unbearable. But then I watched every episode in one sitting so it can't be that bad 
    My V key is broken
  • The kids had SCD on last night; I got drawn and there were some stand out moments. Not sure it's quite me but it isn't terrible.
    MrsTheWeary has been watching iZombie so it's been in the background a lot. Again not something aimed at me but it has the odd funny line and someone has decided that Buffy was sufficiently long ago ago you can steal bits of that and no one will notice. Although Buffy had a perfectly cast star and the woman in iZombie is, err, underwhelming. 
    Walking Dead back next week, that's enough zombie nonesense to keep me satisfied ( even if they never use the Z word). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7526
    I've watched the odd episode of iZombie - for me that's just Quantum Leap or Sliders - new formula mystery each episode - it just uses the Zombie thing as the vehicle for accessing each new adventure. 
    Red ones are better. 

Ok, so ive now watched the entire series. I liked it. It had some stand out funny moments, and some gore (im a fan of comedy gore as well as the more serious stuff). DBs comedy acting is great, and absolutely loved TOs character.

Its a yes from me.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    TimmyO said:
    I've watched the odd episode of iZombie - for me that's just Quantum Leap or Sliders - new formula mystery each episode - it just uses the Zombie thing as the vehicle for accessing each new adventure. 
    At first, but it has an ongoing story. I thought it was Bones but with zombies, but it really develops into something brilliant
    My V key is broken
  • We watched a couple of episodes the other weekend.  Thought it was pretty funny, will finish it at some point