Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

These guys are terrific!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    I learned a lesson decades ago listening to a has been 60s band called the Ivy League. Just bass guitar drums but all three sang lead and harmonies. The orchestration they achieved with seemingly so little was text book. Even the early beatles stuff was little more but an extra guitar much of the time, but the harmonies really made it.
    Had the distinct pleasure of being in  a big soul band for many years with two girl singers and guitar/key/drums all sang harmonies and the odd lead. We had a show stopper where the bass player put down his bass and joined in with Billy Joels 'The longest time' a cappella. All those harmonies behind my vocal was a hairs on the neck moment for me.
    I don't care how flash a guitar solo you can do, it gets boring to most people after a couple, whereas vocals and harmonies never get dull to Joe Public.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    ESBlonde said:
    I learned a lesson decades ago listening to a has been 60s band called the Ivy League. Just bass guitar drums but all three sang lead and harmonies. The orchestration they achieved with seemingly so little was text book. Even the early beatles stuff was little more but an extra guitar much of the time, but the harmonies really made it.
    Had the distinct pleasure of being in  a big soul band for many years with two girl singers and guitar/key/drums all sang harmonies and the odd lead. We had a show stopper where the bass player put down his bass and joined in with Billy Joels 'The longest time' a cappella. All those harmonies behind my vocal was a hairs on the neck moment for me.
    I don't care how flash a guitar solo you can do, it gets boring to most people after a couple, whereas vocals and harmonies never get dull to Joe Public.
    Very true, unfortunately it's very difficult to do great harmonies. When it is done well though it is show stopping. In all the bands I'm in the harmonies are the weakest area
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Yep, vocal harmonies are very difficult. It's hard enough trying to find a lead vocal who is in tune, let alone getting your other players to try to handle their musical instrument and sing at the same time, in tune, without losing control of their instrument.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    God, I chuffing hate trying to do harmonies. I just keep singing it in the lead vocal 'tone' or doing it an octave higher.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Tough crowd indeed - Richie Castellano on guitar (and Helix) is the current Blue Oyster Cult guitarist. Their Bohemian Rhapsody is great and Joining a Fanclub (Jellyfish) too. They have fun and can all play and sing.
  • id be proud to be in a band as good as that
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2017
    @Bucket - check out their "Joining a Fanclub" (studio clip).

I've seen some other clips where they bring in various people and also swap instruments and share lead vocals amongst themselves. Richie Castellano's solo on the "Owner of a lonely heart" YT clip is spot on and here's a montage

I like them

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    It's fine, but lets face it, it is the equivalent of karaoke.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    axisus said:
    It's fine, but lets face it, it is the equivalent of karaoke.
    You must go to a better quality of karaoke venue than the one I've had the misfortune to find myself in..!
  • Well - nothing wrong with that at all IMO, well played, decent singing. A Tad soulless maybe, but it's a cover band so yeah... who cares? I think if I saw them in a bar, playing to that level I'd be impressed. Lots and lots of cover bands are shit with people who either can't play the material or don't practice enough.