Promo clip

What's Hot
In a bid to get better gigs I think my band should spend some money from the collective kitty on a decent promo clip - good audio and visual..... 

Get it on our Facebook page and use it when contacting venues, agents and events etc.......

Any thoughts on whether this is a worthwhile investment? Any ideas about how to accomplish this? Others done the same?

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I think it depends on the type of gigs you're chasing. For weddings a showreel type thing is probably useful but not strictly necessary I don't think - we don't have one and have done plenty of weddings. For corporate type affairs you'll probably need something pretty polished, and entertainment agencies usually like to see some sort of video. Having said that we regularly get gigs through an agency.
    In my experience pubs tend to book bands based on where else they play and what sized crowd they're likely to bring/attract.
    Get some good sound clips and photos in place as a priority I'd say. Are you on Lemonrock?
  • simonk said:
    I think it depends on the type of gigs you're chasing. For weddings a showreel type thing is probably useful but not strictly necessary I don't think - we don't have one and have done plenty of weddings. For corporate type affairs you'll probably need something pretty polished, and entertainment agencies usually like to see some sort of video. Having said that we regularly get gigs through an agency.
    In my experience pubs tend to book bands based on where else they play and what sized crowd they're likely to bring/attract.
    Get some good sound clips and photos in place as a priority I'd say. Are you on Lemonrock?
    Thanks @simonk ;

Were trying to get away from wedding + corporate gigs. We have established regular gigs with pubs and local festivals that are good for 20 odd shows a year. 

Were looking to get into playing clubs or part of the tribute band circuit (though were a Ska tribute as opposed to a specific tribute to one band).  

We were approached by an agent last year but had to cancel the showcase gig when our bass player and trumpeter ran off together!!! Were up and running again - booked up for this year. 

So perhaps a good promo clip would help us get work with an agency? 

What is Lemonrock?

Thanks for your advice 
  • If you're talking about "venues, agents and events" I wouldn't bother with a video. All three are bothered about different things. MASSIVE GENERALISATION ALERT 
    • Venues want a good turn out and aren't overly fussed if or what the band is never mind how good they are. 
    • Agents want a good price, availability and reliability
    • Events want a decent standard of band with a great reputation (ticket sales) who can have a proven record of putting   on a good show. 
    The only sort of gigs I would ever consider sorting a video or press pack type thing for would be the wedding circuit and when I was doing that we got most of our gigs out of pubs anyways!
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We have spoken to agencies but they want us to commit more to dates and travel than we ( I anyway) are willing to do. Occasionally venues have asked to see a video but they've actually wanted a live clip rather than a promo or showreel.

As long as it doesn't cost too much money might be fun to make a promo though and have it as a nice momento.

Britain's top semi pro ska band Bomskare have loads of demo clips but then they get tens of thousands of hits on them. Our most viewed clip is up to 116 views...

[ Bombskare are pretty awesome if you like this kind of thing BTW]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • For Wedding band, I'd say do a promo. It doesn't have to be expensive if you find the right people and it's nice to have something to show anyone who is speaking to you about it. Someone who's watched you and is considering you for their wedding might like to show others what you're like, via Youtube.
    There is a site called Freak Music where you can register your band and Upload Pics, a Vid and a short Biog. If anyone wants to hire you they negotiate through the site, who take a commission if the booking goes ahead.
    Agents shouldn't demand a particular commitment from you. Just explain that you get your bookings from multiple sources on a first come first served basis. If they ring with a date you don't want to play just say that date is unavailable.
  • You could place all band members' smartphones in different positions around the room.  Some close-up shots etc.  Play the song the whole way through along with your recording playback (assuming you have one).  Stop.  Relocate all cameras and repeat.  It will cost you nothing and is simple enough to put together in iMovie or Windows equivalent.  I'm not sure if it will help you with promoters, but it'll increase your online presence on Youtube and give prospective gig-goers something to look at.
  • You could place all band members' smartphones in different positions around the room.  Some close-up shots etc.  Play the song the whole way through along with your recording playback (assuming you have one).  Stop.  Relocate all cameras and repeat.  It will cost you nothing and is simple enough to put together in iMovie or Windows equivalent.  I'm not sure if it will help you with promoters, but it'll increase your online presence on Youtube and give prospective gig-goers something to look at.
    That is certainly worth a go thanks @avalonandy.      

@electrodan. Were actually trying to price ourselves out of wedding gigs but seems people will still play!!! A lot of the band don't like them but I actually enjoy them - you can have plenty of fun at a wedding I find!!! They agents who've approached us wanted us to gig further afield and more often than some in the band wanted too. There is 9 of us so its tricky. The ideal scenario would be gigs two/three times a month within a two hour drive radius. But thats probably just wishful thinking. 
    That is certainly worth a go thanks @avalonandy.      

@electrodan. Were actually trying to price ourselves out of wedding gigs but seems people will still play!!! A lot of the band don't like them but I actually enjoy them - you can have plenty of fun at a wedding I find!!! They agents who've approached us wanted us to gig further afield and more often than some in the band wanted too. There is 9 of us so its tricky. The ideal scenario would be gigs two/three times a month within a two hour drive radius. But thats probably just wishful thinking. 
    Makes me think of this which was basically an ad for the iPhone 4 but shows what can be done.

and I'll throw in a Bomskare track having mentioned them. This one cause it seems to be the unlikeliest ska cover ever and it shows even a fixed camera is fairly watchable with a bit of performance 

• @erictheweary those are some pretty guitars in the Bombskare video - what are they? 

Goes to show what you can do with an iPhone, some editing software - that comes free on a Mac, some imagination and some extremely attractive friends. I have two of those things - maybe three on a good day! 
  • I don't know what they are, I thought Schecters but I don't really know. 
  • I don't know what they are, I thought Schecters but I don't really know. 
    They look like some form of Schecter Tempest to me.