Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tonestack controls less than 10 o clock / more than 2 o clock, something's not right, yes or no ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited February 2017
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I've heard that thing before. Sounds like rubbish. What if the knob does more at a point that sounds crap? 

Much better to use ears. 
    Try it, you might be surprised. My initial reaction was the same as yours, but having done it there does seem to be something in it with a lot of amps. Not always, certainly. (eg I usually find the bass knob sounds best turned up full regardless :).)

Just for clarity - not where it starts to do something when turned up from zero, but the point where it has the most effect over the smallest turn. I really don't know why either!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The whole point of having the range is so you can use it as necessary.

If you're worried about how it looks just set them so they sound good, remove the knobs, and replace so they all point to 12:00... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

If you're worried about how it looks just set them so they sound good, remove the knobs, and replace so they all point to 12:00... 
    Or if you're playing in a band with someone whose tone you can't stand… make a careful note of where he sets the knobs, then when he's gone out for a fag, set the amp to how *you* think it should be, remove the knobs and re-fit them so they show his settings :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    Nonsense. 

Turn them. Does it sound good? No? Why? Too much or too little of something? 

Tweak it. Try again. Repeat until happy. If the knobs are at zero/zero/zero and it sounds great, it's great. 
    What if it's an improvement if it's the volume knob at zero?

:s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

I've heard that thing before. Sounds like rubbish. What if the knob does more at a point that sounds crap? 

Much better to use ears. 
    Try it, you might be surprised. My initial reaction was the same as yours, but having done it there does seem to be something in it with a lot of amps. Not always, certainly. (eg I usually find the bass knob sounds best turned up full regardless :).)

Just for clarity - not where it starts to do something when turned up from zero, but the point where it has the most effect over the smallest turn. I really don't know why either!

Yeah, I understand what it means but I don't see it working. 

I can't test on the ac15 as it's a 6 way switch and a cut knob. 

It might make an amp sound good, but would it sound best? If not, it's not really even a useful start point. 

I used to work with everything maxed, then turn things down until it sounded good. That would vary depending on where I was playing. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    No such problems with the Natural channel on an Orange Rocker 30. It only has a volume control - none of this new fangled tone control malarkey that you speak of. 
    However, I think you should judge your tone on how it sounds,  not how it " looks". Between your fingers and what you or the audience hears are a whole host of variables that affect your tone. Your amp's tone controls are just part of that list of variables - set 'em where they sound good. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    clarkefan said:
    I'd agree with that idea except I'll throw in volume.  Those perfect settings change for me depending on volume. I'd suggest right volume first, then tweak.
    And the room / hall your in.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I can recall when Guitarist Mag Amp Reviewers were always regurgitating the hackneyed old phrase "tone controls set to noon - a sign of a well sorted eq circuit"!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom