UPDATE: Replaced the 'Gold Back' speaker in my Marshall DSL 401 with a Celestion Classic Lead 80

2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Well, this is interesting - I've been listening to some youtube vids comparing 8 and 16 ohm versions of the same speakers. In every case the 8 Ohm is a little warmer and darker, whereas the 16 Ohm is brighter and a little thinner.  It hadn't occurred to me that the tone would be different purely due to the difference in impedance.  Thoughts? 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Voxman said:
    Well, this is interesting - I've been listening to some youtube vids comparing 8 and 16 ohm versions of the same speakers. In every case the 8 Ohm is a little warmer and darker, whereas the 16 Ohm is brighter and a little thinner.  It hadn't occurred to me that the tone would be different purely due to the difference in impedance.  Thoughts?
    Yes, there is a usually a difference. It will depend on the amp's output transformer too - both the speaker and the transformer have a different number of windings at the two different impedances, and hence different inductance which will affect the tone slightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Try a wgs veteran 30 or a celestion v.