Replace my Orange (bass amp)

What's Hot
therose789therose789 Frets: 467
Hi all!

Looking for a new bass amp, I play an AD200mk3 at the moment with orange 4x10 

I use a couple of different pre-amp pedals (depending on what im playing) into the pa and then often have the amp mic'd up too. 

I am looking for something with reasonable volume that will sound good mic'd and ideally lighter than the orange! 

What are you all playing at the moment? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Ampeg Micro VR.

Yes, it looks like a toy, especially if you have the matching cabinet :).

It does not sound like a toy - it's a genuine 200W output. It also weighs less than 10lb.

If it has a flaw it's that the cooling fan is very noisy, which makes it less useful as a home amp than you'd think from the size.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I went from an AD200B to a Bass Terror. The BT, was at the time, the fattest sounding non valve amp to my ears. Probably because it was outputting its full power at 8 or 4 ohms. It kept the Orange sound and the weight/portability difference outweighed the slight loss in bass/fatness. I didn't miss lugging the AD200B around. They don't make the BT anymore, but Orange have a newer line that have replaced it.
    Away from Orange, there are loads of options for lightweight/class D heads, depending on your budget and sound. You might want to look at GK or Ampeg, perhaps?
  • My friend who plays in a Rock Orchestra plays through a TC BH250, he got a very good tone from that. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    Darkglass M900

Loud, punchy, clean or warm or filth.

Amazing amp.
  • Darkglass M900

Amazing amp.
    Every demo I see of it are the guys with the active basses with the slanted frets playing metal, the idea of that amp excites me but the demos don't seem to do justice for the flexibility of it! 

How do you use it? What kind of music do you play? 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    The Fender Rumble v3 500 combo weighs only 36.5lbs. 2 x 10 cab though, you might feel the difference coming from 4 x 10. I had the 40 for a while and was most impressed.
    Darkglass M900

Amazing amp.
    Every demo I see of it are the guys with the active basses with the slanted frets playing metal, the idea of that amp excites me but the demos don't seem to do justice for the flexibility of it! 

How do you use it? What kind of music do you play? 
    Mainly big band!!! :) 

There is a jazz demo of the amp around too.

I use it clean mostly or with the vintage circuit on a little so it sounds like an old Ampeg B15 or a Dan Armstrong amp.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I have a Mark Bass CMD102P and it is great.
    300w into 8 ohms, 17kg weight and easily expanded with another 2x10 or 1x15 if required.

I had one of those MB combos.

Excellent product. Just have to watch out for the weights. The website still shows the old Italian build weights. The Indonesian ones are significantly heavier. 

The DG is 2.9 kg and the Barefaced cabs I use are 7.5kg each.

I have a pair but 1 is significantly louder than the MB.
    DG jazz

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DG jazz

vvv nice! That could be on the cards!