Watch out, world...

What's Hot
...got a little bit closer to driving today - passed the theory test.

I was most worried about the hazard perception section, but amazingly I scored 68 out of 75 on it. Turns out there's a bit of a trick...click once when you first see it, again a second later and again a second after that. From what I can tell, the scoring window on some of them is only about 3s.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Nice job!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10339
    Congrats.

I'm so glad I didn't have to do all that hazard perception and theory malarkey when I did my test (1990).Sounds as though it was a lot easier back then.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited February 2017
    I was the same when I did mine - I was really worried about the hazard perception part but ended up getting a healthy score.

I wasn't slightly worried about the multiple choice question bit but only ended up passing by 1 or 2 marks on that.

Well done anyway!
  • Well done. I took the practice hazard perception exam when my daughter was learning to drive, just out of curiosity. I failed it badly . It turned out I was spotting the hazards way too early, which  I though was the point!
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    I was also worried about the HPT (did it shortly after it first came in around 2003/4) - one of the examples I failed completely on, and I'm still bitter about it:

You're driving down a road, there's a road off to the side that merges in 50 yards or so, and a slow-moving tractor on that road, a fair bit ahead of you. It was pretty obvious the hazard was going to be it pulling out in front of you, so clicked almost straight away.

Apparently, you had to wait until it "developed" (i.e. the tractor actually pulled out) to click, but in a real-world scenario I'd have backed off the gas to make sure there was plenty of room for it to pull out (or, more realistically, put my foot down to ensure I got to the junction before it...)
  • LoFi said:

Apparently, you had to wait until it "developed" (i.e. the tractor actually pulled out) to click, but in a real-world scenario I'd have backed off the gas to make sure there was plenty of room for it to pull out (or, more realistically, put my foot down to ensure I got to the junction before it...)
    Yep, that's exactly the problem - most people spot it way before the scoring window opens, because in reality you'd do something much further back so that there's no need to take evasive action where they do in the video.

Also, a number of the clips aren't real-world, but are 3D rendered and processed to look real-ish. I don't think it's any coincidence that 90% of the pedestrians were women wearing short skirts and heels, and wiggling their butts as they walked down the street.
    <space for hire>
  • Congrats.

I'm so glad I didn't have to do all that hazard perception and theory malarkey when I did my test (1990).Sounds as though it was a lot easier back then.
    As it happens, I did this about 12 years ago...both parts of the test were much easier back then, too.
    <space for hire>
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150

Also, a number of the clips aren't real-world, but are 3D rendered and processed to look real-ish. I don't think it's any coincidence that 90% of the pedestrians were women wearing short skirts and heels, and wiggling their butts as they walked down the street.
    I almost missed the hazard in one of the clips because I lost concentration thinking to myself "is this real or is it 3D graphics?" Very realistic graphics had me bamboozled.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Got mine back in 1994 so didn't have to do any of this bollocks. Much easier back then :)

Congrats fella!

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Ben8010 said:

I almost missed the hazard in one of the clips because I lost concentration thinking to myself "is this real or is it 3D graphics?" Very realistic graphics had me bamboozled.
    Yep, that's what distracted me too. From a distance, they're very much in the uncanny valley.

My last clip was actually quite amusing - a pair of geese taking forever to cross the road. One of them actually stopped at one point, looked at the "camera" and wiggled its backside at the other one.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best of luck for going the whole way!
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Well done, i failed my first gazard perception by 1 mark, the car going through a gap slightly narrower than the lane, it didnt slow down but I didnt click. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Congratulations! Soon you'll be able to drive your wife to the pub!