Blackface Cleans with Headroom - Morgan SW50 or Carr Impala

What's Hot
richcolrichcol Frets: 12

Looking for an amp (combo) that will provide plenty of clean headroom for Blackface style cleans for mainly funk and soul. Two amps I’ve honed in on are the Morgan SW50 and the Carr Impala and these are at the top end of my budget.

The clips I’ve heard for both amps with clean tones sound great but not plentiful. Posts on TGP in relation to the Morgan SW50 for the styles I’ve mentioned with the headroom being available are very positive. I read differing reports on the Impala for providing the clean headroom, though very favourable reviews overall.

I should be able to try out the Impala but trying the Morgan may be a while off so any experience of these amps for similar requirements and any comparisons/other suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited February 2017
    I'm using a tworock studio pro 35 now and it's amazing for very good cleans! I play funk / soul as well.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    I've got an Impala and it's got plenty of headroom. Doesn't start breaking up with a strat until you get to about 3 o'clock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks both for the info. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Dr Z EZG 
  • hywelg said:
    Dr Z EZG 
    For complete cleans, this is one of the best options, imho.
    Let's be clear, the EZG will break up, but at the point that it does, it's LOUD. You'll never need it that loud. I always had to use an attenuator, or push the front end in order to get up to the sweet spot. At which point it sounded marvellous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @cbellanga - The Two Rock sounds very tempting. Thanks for the tip!
  • Interesting on the EZG. Is it just the head/cab option available in UK to date? Have you had the combo?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    richcol said:

Looking for an amp (combo) that will provide plenty of clean headroom for Blackface style cleans for mainly funk and soul.

Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue.

Why get something else that won't do the definitive sound of that type of music as well?

They're actually not even that heavy, contrary to popular belief - only 64lb. A well-made 1x12" 50W amp won't be far off that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    richcol said:
    Interesting on the EZG. Is it just the head/cab option available in UK to date? Have you had the combo?
    It is available. Not sure Peach get them on that often though. 
  • Another vote for Two Rock - especially the Crystal!  :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Fender Super Reverb...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    richcol said:

Looking for an amp (combo) that will provide plenty of clean headroom for Blackface style cleans for mainly funk and soul.

Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue.

Why get something else that won't do the definitive sound of that type of music as well?

They're actually not even that heavy, contrary to popular belief - only 64lb. A well-made 1x12" 50W amp won't be far off that.
    ^^ this, really. It is the blackface amp for cleans and what everything else aspires to be like.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    Ceriatone HRM BM50 or BM100
    no, you can't have mine

I've tried Two rocks, and have the cash, they are great but are no better, and they too are D-clones
    The BM50 does  the John Mayer Continuum  sort of sounds, and excellent cleans. I think it needs Celestion Golds, which cost a little more .

The Tworock studio Pro  50 sounds better than the lower power one, and they work well with cheaper drivers

If you want ultra clean, the ceriatone HRM100 with an EVM12 is amazing.  I assume the newer SSS is even more so.

I'd recommend 80w or 100w if you want cleans for funk

• hywelg said:
    Let's be clear, the EZG will break up, but at the point that it does, it's LOUD. You'll never need it that loud. I always had to use an attenuator, or push the front end in order to get up to the sweet spot. At which point it sounded marvellous.
    Foxx moi, it would have to be VERY loud !!! ;)
  • You could pick up an older silverface twin and get it fully overhauled for less money and pick up a bit of vintage mojo to go with it. 

You may even get an older blackface. The reissue is sweet too, but I think I'd have to get the more attractive silverface and give it to an amp tech. Probably come in less than a Carr and look significantly cooler, which is really what it's all about :) 
  • @ToneControl did you order yours from Ceriatone direct or use a dealer?

For the OP, haven't tried the Impala but I do have a Morgan SWR as my go-to clean amp, very happy with it
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    You could pick up an older silverface twin and get it fully overhauled for less money and pick up a bit of vintage mojo to go with it. 

You may even get an older blackface. The reissue is sweet too, but I think I'd have to get the more attractive silverface and give it to an amp tech. Probably come in less than a Carr and look significantly cooler, which is really what it's all about :) 
    Having serviced a lot of silverface Twins, I would take the reissue - really. The originals are starting to have a lot of problems now which can be expensive to fix, and it's hard to find one in really good condition either - they were almost all bought by working musicians and used hard. You can get a TRRI second hand for the same or less than a SF even in poor condition, and it won't need work.

The BF reissue also has a better-made cabinet and is lighter than a SF, and although the internal wiring between the PCB and the valve sockets isn't the best quality, that's really the only thing that's not better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    @ToneControl did you order yours from Ceriatone direct or use a dealer?

For the OP, haven't tried the Impala but I do have a Morgan SWR as my go-to clean amp, very happy with it
    I ordered  3 amps at once direct from Ceriatone, in 2010 - zero problems
    I also bought several used ones in the UK, all were fine, especially the HRM100 that I have kept that was assembled by MJW before  he  Launched his own designs

It's very rare to find the dumble clones  for sale used, because they are keepers
    I bought a plain one used from @Ossyrocks- a little too rocky for me, so I sold that, and  the HRM in  a swap.

If you want a D clone from Ceriatone, ordering new is not too painful for price
    I tried 2 rocks, but they were no better, now my main amps are Matchless, Victoria and 2xCeriatone HRMs,  which  should  show how highly I rate Ceriatone. I did  have a Fuchs, long-gone.

It's funny to consider that some people like to imply that Ceriatone are  some lower-quality alternative, as if only Americans know how to solder - they'll talk about cheap Asian electronics - without remembering that iPhones and laptops are all built there.

Yet in reality Ceriatone must make more hand-wired boutique amps than any other manufacturer on the planet.  I've owned 20-30  upmarket amps, and based on all the evidence I've seen, the Ceriatones  are  as good  as any.
    They are now starting to do more original derivations,  which must be good  for everyone
    However, I think they should stop selling models where the original maker is still producing  them

• ICBM said:
    You could pick up an older silverface twin and get it fully overhauled for less money and pick up a bit of vintage mojo to go with it. 

Having serviced a lot of silverface Twins, I would take the reissue - really. The originals are starting to have a lot of problems now which can be expensive to fix, and it's hard to find one in really good condition either - they were almost all bought by working musicians and used hard. You can get a TRRI second hand for the same or less than a SF even in poor condition, and it won't need work.

The BF reissue also has a better-made cabinet and is lighter than a SF, and although the internal wiring between the PCB and the valve sockets isn't the best quality, that's really the only thing that's not better.

Now that is interesting. 

I found a twin reverb in head format in a local shop, silverface (old one) overhauled and blackface for under a grand iirc. But a cursory look at used reissues, they're cheaper than I thought they'd be! 

Alter bridge gig the hell out them.