Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hmmnn ..... to leave job or not .....

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
I've been 26 years in the same job. I've had 3 bosses in that time and they all thought that I did a fabulous job. Even my bosses boss seemed to think I walked on water. I love the job (mostly!), love the people that I work with, and get a very good wage. All sounds good, but my bosses boss left and there is a new guy in and he doesn't seem to care for our dept at all and has to save money. They are offering 'voluntary exit' and the dosh would pay off what is left of our mortgage, but come April we are all being transferred to new T&Cs, and after that I will get peanuts (relatively speaking) if I'm made redundant.

I don't think I'll get another decent job at my age (53), but don't know whether to jump or not. Wife + 4 kids at home so I can't just sit on my arse. It's a bit depressing the thought of leaving a job that you are so into, and a bit scary to be out looking after so long in one place. A month to think about it .....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The risk is staying with a job you love, only to find it isn't there is 2 years' time or you DON'T love it anymore because the atmosphere in the company has changed.

You can pay your mortgage off...BIG plus..

Personally, I'd lean more towards leaving.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16741
    Take the money and get out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 I'd lean toward leaving.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    Leave and become a postman
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Unless you're a footballer 53 is not that old! 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    I'd take the money, no question.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    If your mortgage is your main/only debt, and your children are nearly all adult age, take the money. Pay off the mortgage. You'll have so much less pressure to replace the job. Just my tuppence.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Not fancy a bit of self employment? 
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • I've just been in a vaguely similar situation; loved the people I worked with, but new(ish) management were crap, although unlike you I was sick of the job itself after 15 years, so I left to do my own thing. I think if you have even a vague idea of what you might do next then it's worth doing. Life is too short not to take a chance sometimes, and 53 is not old at all ! :)
  • PAY OFF THAT MORTGAGE NOW!! It’s the biggest millstone you’ll ever have round your neck but once it’s paid off, you’d be surprised at the freedom you’ll have and the chance to try another job. Age is just a number and if you’re a half decent person with a brain, you WILL get a job.

Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• Hmm, not completely dissimilar to myself, although my redundancy wasn't voluntary I didn't fight to stay either and partly that was knowing the redundancy policy was being renegotiated so longer term if I went it would be with a lot less (probably about one third of what I got). 
    I was, basically, a Spinning Jenny operator who had done okay in the Spinning Jenny company but nobody wants a Spinning Jenny operator now  :/ If you do something that's reasonably in demand I'd take the money. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    In your position I think I'd be taking the dosh 100%!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    edited February 2017
    axisus said:
    ...'voluntary exit'...would pay off what is left of our mortgage, but come April we are all being transferred to new T&Cs, and after that I will get peanuts (relatively speaking) if I'm made redundant.

I don't think I'll get another decent job at my age (53)...
    With your mortgage paid off you won't need to earn as much.  Sounds obvious.
    Your definition of a "decent job" can change.  I haven't regretted the decision to work significantly fewer hours, just a couple of days a week, since paying off my mortgage early.  It gave me time to learn a new career too.  Having time is valuable.

My 2p's would be to take the redundancy -- see it as the last good thing from the end of a good company.  By staying in what's effectively a new company you would still have your mortgage to pay and if work becomes shit you'll feel trapped.  You will still have the thought, "I don't think I can get another decent job," but actually you might find something you like doing more.  (I did.) And you would be kicking yourself for not paying off the mortgage which would be trapping you there.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    axisus said:
    I've been 26 years in the same job. I've had 3 bosses in that time and they all thought that I did a fabulous job. Even my bosses boss seemed to think I walked on water. I love the job (mostly!), love the people that I work with, and get a very good wage. All sounds good, but my bosses boss left and there is a new guy in and he doesn't seem to care for our dept at all and has to save money. They are offering 'voluntary exit' and the dosh would pay off what is left of our mortgage, but come April we are all being transferred to new T&Cs, and after that I will get peanuts (relatively speaking) if I'm made redundant.

I don't think I'll get another decent job at my age (53), but don't know whether to jump or not. Wife + 4 kids at home so I can't just sit on my arse. It's a bit depressing the thought of leaving a job that you are so into, and a bit scary to be out looking after so long in one place. A month to think about it .....
    All you have to do is believe. My dad is in his 60's, never sold cars before in his life (although has worked in sales), and is now loving live as a Sales Executive with Listers Lexus....If you're good at your job, you'll find someone that will hire you. 

If you can pay off your mortgage, you wouldn't necessarily need a job that's as high paying, so you'd have more flexibility. You only live once. 
  • I'd echo all the above.

There are always other jobs. If your mortgage is cleared you can afford to do something you like for less money if necessary. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    axisus said:
    I don't think I'll get another decent job at my age (53)
    Whyever not, you have great skills! Let's see Malmsteen with the fire extinguisher again! :)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1782
    How much of a burden is your mortgage? I you're near the end of it and therefore not paying a huge amount to it each month then it may not be as much of a selling point as some people here are suggesting.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited February 2017
    I found that paying off the mortgage didn't make such a difference. Maybe because having kids, and a few years of crap rises and rising expenses just eroded the benefits away anyway, and the savings I have put aside would get fuck all as interest....

Definitely worth doing though, you could be made redundant or given the boot next year anyway, who knows. Worth considering your pension though. If you leave and take a lower wage, what effect do smaller contributions make. Probably not a major thing at 53, but something to consider.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited February 2017
    I'd probably weigh it up by assuming I'd be out of work for 1 - 2 years and then comparing that loss of earnings to the lump sum. You might also factor in a further loss if you expect that any future job might be less well paid than your current one.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16741
    What are the company going to do in the next few years?  Chances are the redundancies won't be voluntary and you know the offer won't be as good.... but you will definitely be older than you are now.